Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

A reminder to all members that you agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

6 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Water
nipper
post Posted: Mar 29 2020, 12:52 PM
  Quote Post

Under water reforms, the environment and permanent crops, such as almonds, grapes and citrus, get water allocated before annual crops such as rice, cotton and cereals.

"One of the reasons the irrigation community supported the reform process was the concept of property rights, transparency of process and a framework of water entitlements that give the sector confidence to invest to world's best practise," [a spokesman for rice growers] said. "Some of those have been delivered and some have demonstrably not been delivered."

"The government now holds 28 per cent of all the allocations in the Basin, so they are enormous users, and I believe they have the ability to correct the situation. "There are a number of big reports on water reform policy due in the coming months. They include reviews of the water market, water sharing, socio-economic impacts and water for the environment.

New Minister for Water, Keith Pitt, said the reports would provide important insights into water reform and the Murray-Darling Basin Plan. "I am committed to ensuring the Government acts on their findings and that the time for reviews is coming to an end," Mr Pitt said. "Irrigated agriculture underpins the Basin economy. The Government will work with the industry through these challenging times and ensure it is well-placed to respond when we are through the current health crisis."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-29/rice...verina/12094436

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

birnam
post Posted: Feb 14 2020, 09:40 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Feb 13 2020, 09:07 PM

We will see how much water gets through. NSW lifted its moratorium on pumping from northern-Darling catchments for 3 days. Qld never had a moratorium so water harvesting with pumps is presumably happening. Capture of overland flows are another issue. Some have some regulation, others are open slather.

nipper
post Posted: Feb 13 2020, 09:07 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Feb 4 2020, 10:27 AM

Several major rivers feeding the Murray-Darling Basin have started to flow, including the Condamine and Balonne in Queensland and the Namoi and Barwon in NSW. Much of that water ultimately enters the Darling, which has not flowed solidly for years.

The Murray-Darling Basin Authority says, among other revivals, the Moonie River in Queensland is flowing for the first time since April 2018. Parts of the Weir, Macintyre and Dumaresq rivers of the Queensland-NSW Border Rivers region also are flowing, while in NSW water is passing through large sections of the Gwydir, Castlereagh and Macquarie catchments.
https://www.mdba.gov.au/media/mr/recent-rai...mmunities-alike

enough for a flood? Probably not.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

mullokintyre
post Posted: Feb 4 2020, 10:27 AM
  Quote Post

There is another cyclone brewing off the Pilbara, ,should be declared by Friday.

from BOM

If the forecasts are correct, the Murray darling Basin will get a pretty big influx of water over the net 8 days.
The MB Basin will get at least an inch, about half will get 2 inches, and a third up to four inches.
An area of of about 500 square miles around Cunnamulla is forecast to get 4 inches plus.
Big rain if it comes true.
Be nice to see a bit of flood water scooting down the Darling.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

nipper
post Posted: Feb 4 2020, 08:24 AM
  Quote Post

Just putting this here for a bit of context/ continuity
Keppel Infrastructure Trust-owned Ixom is about to purchase US water treatment business Medora Environmental for about $US24 million. Medora provides water management solutions to businesses in sectors like mining, agriculture, energy and manufacturing.

Ixom meanwhile is the market leader in water treatment in Australia and New Zealand, as well as a chemicals distributor. The Medora acquisition will grow Ixom's US presence and will combine with the company's existing water treatment offering.

Ixom and Medora are competing for a slice of the global water market, which is expected to hit $US1 trillion by 2025.

It is understood Medora's products will also be used to service the Australian market, where water quality issues are particularly important in drought-stricken areas.

Singapore-listed Keppel have owned Ixom since 2018 when it bought it off Blackstone for $1.1 billion after an auction run by JPMorgan. In the December 2019 quarter, Ixom contributed $264.3 million to Keppel's total revenue of $422.8 million.

Ixom has more than 1000 employees around the world and became a standalone business in 2015 after it was spun out from Orica Australia

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jan 28 2020, 10:22 AM
  Quote Post

Towns along the Barwon-Darling River system seek relief from brackish drinking water.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/regional-towns-t...53v28.html?btis
Towns along the dwindling Barwon-Darling River system, in the state's parched north-west, hope that mobile desalination plants will provide relief from brackish drinking water as the drought tightens its grip.

Some locals in the small outback towns of Brewarrina, Bourke and Walgett have resorted to using bottled water as their main source of drinking water, despite assurances from health authorities that the tap water, though extremely salty, is safe to drink.

Brewarrina, which sources its water supply from a weir on the Barwon River, will on Tuesday become the first of the three towns to switch on a desalination plant, which the council has borrowed from Tenterfield Council, more than 600 kilometres away.

Mayor Phillip O'Connor said the town's raw water supply was purified at the local treatment plant, but this process could not remove the high sodium content that resulted from the lack of inflow into the river system.

"The longer the river doesn't run, the saltier the water gets. The water is drinkable but it has got a bad taste to it," Cr O'Connor said.

The mobile plant, which was originally donated to Tenterfield council by charity Rural Aid, will filter the water from the treatment plant through a process of reverse osmosis. It has the capacity to provide up to 70,000 litres of drinking water a day.

However, the plant will not connect directly to Brewarrina's water supply, and will instead function as a refilling station, located in the town's Visitor Centre car park, where residents can bring containers and bottles to fill up and take back to their homes.

The Berejiklian government is spending $10 million to install similar desalination plants in Bourke and Walgett, but these will be attached to the towns' water supplies, meaning residents will be able to access the water directly from their taps.

Both towns are forced to rely on emergency bore water when their river supplies run low or cease, but testing has revealed higher sodium levels than those specified in the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines on aesthetic (taste) grounds.

Walgett, on the junction of the Namoi and Barwon rivers, has been surviving on emergency bore water for much of the plast three years. Bourke's supply, which is drawn from a weir on the Darling River, was boosted by 100 millimetres of rain in November, but without further replenishment it will be forced to switch to bore water in the coming months.

Bourke Shire Council general manager Ross Earl said the plant would have the capacity to generate as much as one megalitre of water a day, sufficient for the demands of Bourke's 1900 residents.

"That will be enough water to look after Bourke's needs," Mr Earl said. "All houses will be connected to the desalination supply."

NSW Water Minister Melinda Pavey said the government was also considering reverse osmosis plants for coastal communities, including Forster on the state's Mid North Coast

--------------------

Featured Stock Stories

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 27 2020, 02:11 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jan 27 2020, 01:59 PM

Farmers would be smarter selling all their water entitlements to Investors.
Much easier than trying to make a living out of farming.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

nipper
post Posted: Jan 27 2020, 01:59 PM
  Quote Post

Olam Group, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange and 53 per cent-owned by the Singapore government’s investment arm Temasek, grows and buys crops from 4.7 million farmers in 30 countries and is a world leader in the trade of nuts, spices, cotton, coffee, chocolate, sunflowers, soybeans, rice and dairy products.

It has a 24 per cent share of the cotton market in Australia, owns nine processing gins in northern NSW and Queensland through its subsidiary Queensland Cotton, runs 15,000ha of almond orchards at Robinvale, Victoria, and Darlington Point, NSW, and owns an almond processing plant near Mildura.

In early December, in Australia’s record biggest water trading deal, Olam sold 89 megalitres of its permanent annual irrigation water rights to Canadian superannuation fund PSP Investments for $490m in return for the right to use the water on its Robinvale almond plantations for the next 25 to 50 years. It booked a capital profit of $311m on the massive water deal.

Mr Verghese used his visit to Australia to defend the water trading system, which has faced attack from irrigators during the s drought as temporary water prices have soared above $1000 a megalitre, making it unaffordable for many family farmers.

Farmers have accused investors with no land to farm and no connection to Australian agriculture of speculating on water prices and holding back scarce water to manipulate soaring price rises...

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/a...abb5d5b7ef8a718

14% of Murray Darling water entitlements are held by investors.

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jan 6 2020, 06:06 PM
  Quote Post

one of the issues with recent bushfires is water quality, and whether the authorities (local and state) have the ability to deliver potable water to regional communities. While the Sydney situation is major and problematic, with fires surrounding Warragamba, many local and regional supplies are threatened.

https://www.waterquality.gov.au/issues/bushfires
but the funding will only come from Federal - one would hope this is part of the $2 bill package announced today.
Coordination, policy advice and funding assistance is .... provided by Australian Government agencies during and after bushfires.​

I think De.Mem DEM has the best ability to respond, as most of their business is Industrial Water Treatment Solutions, and often small interventions, while Puriflow PO3 is also well positioned

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Sep 27 2019, 07:13 PM
  Quote Post

"If the wars of this century were fought over oil, the wars of the next century will be fought over water."

World Bank vice president Ismail Serageldin made this much quoted prediction for the new millennium in 1995

--------------------

6 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING