Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

6 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    

Reply to this topic

Medical Cannabis, watch list of pot-related stocks
blacksheep
post Posted: Sep 21 2018, 01:54 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Sep 19 2018, 01:27 PM

Looks like ASX listed Althea is ding a US listed Tilray rolleyes.gif SP up 190% today thus far - now 58c Good to see HC luv heart shimmer pumping this one. biggrin.gif but punters should also take a look where his previous rockets are currently - many have come back down to earth sad.gif Know when to get off the rocket ship - just IMHO

Puff, puff, pass: Tribeca takes stake in third pot stock

Fund manager Tribeca Investment Partners will this week spark up its pot trifecta, with an investment in soon-to-be-listed Althea.

Althea, which is expected to hit the ASX boards on Friday with a $40 million market value, gained its medical cannabis licence in March.

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

blacksheep
post Posted: Sep 21 2018, 12:30 PM
  Quote Post

Reefer Madness: why marijuana shares could be the new crypto

Investors are craving marijuana stocks as Canada prepares to legalise pot next month, leading to giant gains for Canada-based companies listed on US exchanges. Some experts are concerned that the ending will be a buzzkill.

Billions of dollars have poured into the stocks in the last few months, and investors smell green (money, not leaves) in the air as they consider the opportunities these companies might have as the marijuana market in Canada grows, along with the possibility that the US and other countries could follow suit.

The value of one company, British Columbia-based Tilray, has jumped tenfold since its initial public offering just two months ago. The company had $US20 million ($27.4 million) in sales in 2017, but it's now worth considerably more than Macy's or Hasbro. With those huge gains have come extreme swings.

Wednesday was a trip for Tilray stock: after closing at $US154 the previous day, it opened at $US233 a share, soared to $US300, and then plunged to $US151 before rallying to close at $US214. Trading was halted several times because of that volatility.

And Mahoney said if there is a bubble, larger investors will protect themselves and won't overinvest in single companies, but smaller investors who see a chance to get rich quickly could suffer painful losses.

"The small investors always end up with the short end of the stick," he said. "They don't have the insight, they don't have the experience."

An investor who bought Tilray stock Wednesday might have agreed, as the shares fell 18 per cent to finish at $US176.
read more - including Coca Cola acknowledging "it could one day offer cannabis-infused drinks" . https://www.theage.com.au/business/markets/...921-p50549.html

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

blacksheep
post Posted: Sep 19 2018, 03:05 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Sep 19 2018, 02:53 PM

Seems we'll soon be drinking hemp milk, but it may be a bit hard to swallow ", with a litre retailing for between $11 and $13" wacko.gif

Hemp milk demand in Western Australia inspires east coast expansion plans
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-09-1...expand/10257102

--------------------

blacksheep
post Posted: Sep 19 2018, 02:53 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Sep 19 2018, 01:47 PM

- to the left hand side?

Ha ha - no - I'll pass on the temptation to buy into this smokin hot (with 3 funds on the register ready to sell to retail at first puff) pot stock biggrin.gif

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Sep 19 2018, 01:47 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Sep 19 2018, 01:27 PM

I'll pass
- to the left hand side?

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

blacksheep
post Posted: Sep 19 2018, 01:27 PM
  Quote Post

Puff, puff anyone biggrin.gif I'll pass. This sector getting pretty crowded

Puff, puff, pass: Tribeca takes stake in third pot stock
Fund manager Tribeca Investment Partners will this week spark up its pot trifecta, with an investment in soon-to-be-listed Althea.

Althea, which is expected to hit the ASX boards on Friday with a $40 million market value, gained its medical cannabis licence in March.

Its initial public offering, overseen by stockbroker PAC Partners, saw 10 institutions join the register including Alium Capital, Regal Funds Management and Terra Capital.

Tribeca is the largest shareholder, as it is in ASX-listed Cann Group and Auscann Group.

https://www.afr.com/street-talk/puff-puff-p...20180919-h15ks7
https://www.althea.com.au/generals/about
https://www.docdroid.net/hscCGAf/althea-pro...tus.pdf#page=28

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Aug 19 2018, 12:06 PM
  Quote Post

Hemp's a miracle plant: Barry Lambert
It has been a $10 million investment from the heart for Barry Lambert, but it is one that he believes is about to pay off big time.

Lambert made the bulk of his estimated $399m fortune from the sale of Count Financial business to Commonwealth Bank in 2011, but in more recent times he has turned his attention to something radically different: medicinal cannabis and industrial hemp.

The former financial planner ...was convinced of its medicinal merits after administering hemp helped stop the seizures being suffered by granddaughter Katelyn, who has a rare form of epilepsy called Dravet Syndrome.

Lambert has taken up the fight for medical cannabis in Australia, donating a whopping $34m to establish the Lambert Initiative for Cannabinoid Therapeutics at the University of Sydney and another $US3m to Philadelphia's Thomas Jefferson University to support its Centre for Medical Cannabis Education and Research.

It has also led to him becoming chairman of a small but fast-growing private hemp industrial company, Ecofibre, for which a float on the ASX is planned for next year.

"This hemp is a miraculous plant," Lambert told The Weekend Australian. "I was motivated by my granddaughter because I knew the damn thing worked, and I thought maybe this company could be a supplier."

Lambert has already put in $10m of his own funds into the company, and has attracted other investors such as fund manager Chris Cuffe and ex-Wallaby George Gregan.

Yet while the company has mostly Australian investors and is growing hemp that it supplies to be sold as food, as its seeds are edible — it is high in protein, fibre and amino acids — Ecofibre's future strategy and financial performance is tied to pending law changes in the US.

Ecofibre is growing hemp in Kentucky. That state's senator Mitch McConnell, the Senate Majority Leader, has introduced a bill that would remove hemp from the federal list of controlled substances and allow it be grown and sold as an agricultural product around the US.

Lambert says that would turbocharge Ecofibre's business, which is already selling hemp products through pharmacies on a state-by-state basis. "That would be absolutely fantastic and it should be done by September. We are selling in 40 states now … and signing up 100 pharmacies per week."

Lambert sells Ecofibre's sales are growing by $250,000 per month and have hit the $2m mark. "A few months ago it was $1m. Nine months ago it was probably less than $100,000. So It will be profitable from now (and) we will be able to go to an IPO next year with six months profit figures and I would suggest we would be the only profitable cannabis company in Australia."

Ecofibre is also working with TJU in Philadelphia on hi-tech fibre textile Hemp Black, which could also be a substantial business and potentially spun out in the future. The fibres of hemp stalk are used to make clothes and other textiles.

"It could end up embedding technology in clothing in the athleisure wear category and may also be used for military and healthcare applications."

In Australia, Ecofibre grows hemp to supply the Thompsons wholefood seed and oil brand sold in Chemist Warehouse and other pharmacies, and is working hard to keep up with demand, says Lambert. "We are aiming to grow 2000ha of food. This year we did hundreds of hectares. We had to keep lot of this year's crop to make next years."

He says it is "disgraceful" that hemp food has been illegal in Australia and New Zealand for so long due to unfounded fears of its links to marijuana.

"We got lab tests done and all showed 0 per cent THC (the intoxicating substance in marijuana) on the seed so after that they legalised it. Now it's written up a super food. It'll be like a2 Milk, the Asians will love it, want it because it is Australian. But at the moment we can't supply Australia enough because we've lagged behind the rest of the world."

Mostly though, Lambert is determined for the stigma around cannabis to be removed. "We don't grow marijuana and I've never smoked marijuana and I've got no interest in it. But what I do know is that cannabis is an absolutely miraculous drug."

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

blacksheep
post Posted: Jun 21 2018, 02:59 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jun 21 2018, 09:44 AM

Yep - all where the retail sheep go to get shorn biggrin.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jun 21 2018, 09:44 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Jun 20 2018, 09:53 PM

Mind you this - “Retail investors tend to pay for the party that the insiders are enjoying.” - isn't unique to cannabis stocks, or Canadian stocks, it pretty well sums up the ASX

And the FOREX market,and the commodity futures market, and the LME, and the NASDAQ, and the .......

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  blacksheep  

blacksheep
post Posted: Jun 20 2018, 09:53 PM
  Quote Post

An interesting read on the Canadian cannabis sector

How a handful of hedge funds cornered cannabis financing — and made a killing in the process
The short-term nature of many hedge funds' investments raise important questions about the cannabis sector, and may give retail investors pause
extract
Over the past four years, MMCap has been the leading player in what numerous industry insiders say has been the biggest untold story of the cannabis sector’s emergence: How a handful of hedge funds have used a sophisticated financial playbook to essentially recycle capital through multiple companies and deals, funding wide swathes of the sector in the process.

Hedge funds have provided much-needed cash to companies with little to no revenue, but the extent of their activity and the often short-term nature of many of their investments raise important questions about the sector and the protection of retail investors as legalization nears.

“The retail investor likely would be concerned if they understood how it worked on the inside of the tent,” said Paul Rosen, former chief executive of PharmaCan Capital Corp., which became Cronos Group Inc., and a prominent investor in the space. “Retail investors tend to pay for the party that the insiders are enjoying.”

http://business.financialpost.com/cannabis...-in-the-process

Mind you this - “Retail investors tend to pay for the party that the insiders are enjoying.” - isn't unique to cannabis stocks, or Canadian stocks, it pretty well sums up the ASX sad.gif

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  myshares  

6 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING