Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

135 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

AUD, Australian Dollar Discussion
nipper
post Posted: Sep 18 2019, 08:14 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Sep 18 2019, 07:38 AM

And where is this trading occurring?
In April 2019, sales desks in five countries – the United Kingdom, the United States, Hong Kong SAR, Singapore and Japan – facilitated 79 per cent of all foreign exchange trading.

Trading activity in the United Kingdom and Hong Kong SAR grew by more than the global average, the survey found. Mainland China also recorded a significant rise in trading activity, making it the eighth largest FX trading centre, up from 13th in April 2016.

At $US2.0 trillion per day, the volume of spot trades in April 2019 was some 20 per cent greater than in April 2016, but still below the level recorded in the April 2013 Triennial Survey.

- not much faith in Beijing as trusted counterparty.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Sep 18 2019, 07:38 AM
  Quote Post

The Australian dollar was on one side of 6.8 per cent of all foreign exchange trades in April 2019, from 6.9 per cent three years ago, the Bank for International Settlement's triennial central bank survey of global foreign exchange activity found.

The currency's relative strength came even as trading in FX markets surged 29 per cent to $US6.6 trillion ($9.6 trillion) a day in April, from $US5.1 trillion in April 2016. Growth of FX derivatives, especially foreign exchange swaps, outpaced that of spot trading, the survey found.

As expected, the US dollar retained its status as the go-to currency, being on one side of 88 per cent of all trades, up from 87.6 per cent three years ago. In second spot was the euro at 32 per cent, up from 31.4 per cent.

In contrast, Japan's yen slid almost 5 percentage points to 16.8 per cent from 21.6 per cent; it did however hold as the third most traded currency.

The survey put currencies from Emerging Markets as a group in fourth place.

As in previous surveys, the BIS said currencies of emerging market economies (EMEs) again gained market share, reaching 24.5 per cent of overall global turnover, from 21 per cent.

China's currency however expanded only slightly faster than the aggregate market, and the renminbi did not climb further in the global rankings. It remained the eighth most traded currency - with $US284 billion in turnover - with a share of 4.3 per cent, ranking just after the Swiss franc. Three years ago it was at 4.0 per cent. The US dollar was on the other side of 95 per cent of all renminbi transactions.

As for the Australian dollar, it was in fifth place followed by both the Canadian dollar and Swiss franc at 5 per cent each. New Zealand's currency closed out the top 10.

https://www.afr.com/markets/currencies/aust...20190917-p52s0l

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

mullokintyre
post Posted: Sep 10 2019, 10:35 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: early birds's post @ Sep 10 2019, 10:23 AM

Hope it does go above 69, will be buying FOREX at above 69.20.
Just on that note, despite the sanctions in Russia, the Rouble has been the big mover this year.
From Chuck Butler

Well, the BIG news from this weekend as far as currencies are concerned came from Russia, where after 5 years of economic sanctions, the Russian economy continues to grow! Industrial output is on the rise, the Russians believe they will have a record harvest this year, their Current Account is in surplus by $500 Billion… and… Inflation, which has always been a bugaboo for the Russians, has been falling for the past couple of years, and while it was expected to fall to 4.3% this year, it appears that it will be more likely around 3%... With deposit rates still above inflation, that means that Russia, as opposed to most countries, the U.S. included, do not have real negative rates…

The currency, the ruble, rallied big time on the news

More from Chucks Newsletter
Coming in second place for the currency news was China's announcement that they would cut their Reserve Ratio percentage by 50 Basis Points (1/2%). A Reserve Ration cut is akin to an interest rate cut, as it frees up more money to use to support the economy... This news was welcomed by the Asian and Pan Asian Currencies and followed by a rally in this region's currencies.

And just when it appeared that the Chinese renminbi would slip off the ledge and fall into a deep dark abyss, this reserve ratio cut allowed the renminbi to rally for what seems like the first time in month of Sundays!

it's not all gloom and doom news coming from the U.K. these days, although I do have to say that this one caught me by surprise... U.K. GDP saw a 0.3% growth print for July, after June's 0.0% print, there were, and I among them, economists that thought the U.K. was already in recession...

This news was welcomed in the European region, and allowed pound sterling to rally, but left the euro stuck in the mud.
So Russia, with a load of sanctions, the UK with the problems of Brexit, both have economies that are travelling well ahead of the pack.
There must be a lesson in this, just can't work out what it is.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

early birds
post Posted: Sep 10 2019, 10:23 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Aug 7 2019, 04:01 PM

got a call for AUD/USD will rally to 0.6943 cps ish. not so sure it can get this high....but they had a call non the less.
just one of the ideas mick.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 7 2019, 04:01 PM
  Quote Post

AUD about to go below 67 handle.
Gold in AUD terms is now over 200.
Wonder how long it will take before we start to see some inflationary effects creeping into prices, especially as transport costs go up.
Mick

--------------------

early birds
post Posted: Jul 2 2019, 03:52 PM
  Quote Post

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/02/forex-marke...n-in-focus.html

now, RBA did cuts , but AUD rallying. lmaosmiley.gif

sentifi.com

Share Cafe Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

darrenhappy
post Posted: Jun 28 2019, 02:25 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jun 5 2019, 01:26 PM

looks like resistance 70050 aud/usd maybe broken, 70400 next, overcooked on the daily, undrcooked on the weekly so expecting volatility however trend is good

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jun 5 2019, 02:34 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jun 5 2019, 02:01 PM

Not this year, going in for a new knee.

Had hoped to put it off for a few years, but time has come says surgeon,

Mick

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jun 5 2019, 02:01 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jun 5 2019, 01:26 PM

.. hard to read or understand this market...
-time for a O/S holiday?

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jun 5 2019, 01:26 PM
  Quote Post

So, the RBA drops rates and signals there will be more.
The GDP figures out today show the economy is at its slowest since the GFC days.
So what happens to the AUD?? It heads past 70 cents again.
Pretty hard to read or understand this market.
Mick

--------------------

135 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING