Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

Reply to this topic

Wheat
nipper
post Posted: May 12 2019, 08:56 AM
  Quote Post

US Department of Agriculture forecast bigger-than-expected domestic supplies of corn, soybeans and wheat, with outlooks for big harvests and export concerns underpinning the bearish stocks view.

The report added fuel to the market's ongoing worries about the US-China trade fight, which came to a head on Friday in the US as President Donald Trump raised tariffs on Chinese goods and the latest negotiations ended without a deal.

Soybean futures fell to their lowest in more than a decade after the government data was released and wheat sank to its lowest since January 2018. Corn hit a 7-1/2- month low

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Nov 13 2017, 08:29 PM
  Quote Post

US wheat farmers are losing out to an old rival: Russia.

The 75 million tonnes of wheat Russian farmers are forecast to have reaped this season has cemented the country's resurgence as an agricultural superpower and ratcheted up the pressure on US farmers, who sowed fewer hectares of wheat in 2017 than ever before. Wheat prices at the Chicago Board of Trade hit $US4.19 ($5.47) a bushel last week, down almost 25 per cent since Russia began a record wheat harvest in July.

Large investments and a weaker rouble have helped Russia surpass the US as the world's top wheat exporter. A decade ago US farmers supplied a large portion of North Africa's grain. The US Wheat Associates trade group said it would close its office in Egypt, the world's largest wheat importer, in December. "We literally can't compete on the price of wheat in those markets compared to Russia," said Steve Mercer, the group's spokesman.

Other countries are also chipping away at US dominance in wheat. Farmers are growing more grain in Europe and India. The US Department of Agriculture expects American wheat to make up 15 per cent of global exports this year, down from half in the mid-1970s.

A main reason has been Russia's resurgence. Russia was a giant of world grain markets in the early 19th century, shipping wheat from vast, fertile fields to mills across Europe. That dominance slipped as industrial agriculture spread across the US in the early 20th century. The Soviet Union's collectivised farming system broke down, and Russia in the 1970s began importing huge quantities of wheat and other foods.

But since the late 1990s, Russian agriculture has rebounded. Backed by government support and private investors, Russian farmers bought machinery and invested in supplies and land. A weaker rouble and bans on imported food have given farmers an added boost.

"The highly inefficient Soviet crop-growing industry has transformed into a market-driven one," said Andrey Sizov, managing director of agricultural consultancy SovEcon.

Russian wheat yields have increased 70 per cent in the past five years. The USDA expects Russian output to nearly double that of US farms this season. "Yields are growing every year and Russia still has a lot to do," said Maxim Basov, chief executive of Rusagro Group. The conglomerate, one of the country's largest, harvested 40 per cent more winter wheat this season than a year earlier.

Some analysts warn that Russia's bounty could also backfire for some farmers if a glut in storage and transportation bottlenecks depress prices domestically. This season has been less profitable for many Russian farmers than 2016, they say.

But for now, many farmers are reaping the rewards of their record haul. Analysts report seeing newly purchased luxury vehicles in many Russian farming communities.

"Everyone is making money," said Swithun Still, director at Switzerland-based Solaris Commodities which trades Russian grain. "Producers are making money, traders are making money. It's happy days."
Jesse Newman,Benjamin Parkin - The Wall Street Journal

- probably not good for Aust farmers. (and interesting geopolitical sideshow; part of Camp David accords, Egypt was basically bought off with food subsidies = wheat. Now if US farmers no longer beneficiaries of Congressional largesse, why would they 'provide' aid?)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

marketwinner
post Posted: Apr 24 2017, 09:51 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: marketwinner's post @ Apr 4 2017, 05:13 PM

http://www.world-grain.com/articles/news_h...6-62E4892898FC}

Transportation issues weigh on Australian wheat exports

marketwinner
post Posted: Apr 4 2017, 05:13 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: marketwinner's post @ Mar 31 2017, 07:27 PM

http://www.fao.org/worldfoodsituation/csdb/en/

marketwinner
post Posted: Mar 31 2017, 07:27 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: marketwinner's post @ Mar 28 2017, 02:43 PM

http://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/russia...g-state-stocks/

Russia to cut wheat prices for replenishing state stocks

marketwinner
post Posted: Mar 28 2017, 02:43 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Mar 28 2017, 11:18 AM

According to following link top producers are EU, China, India and Russia followed by USA, Canada, Ukraine and Australia. It is nice to see Australia was the third largest exporter in the world in 2015. There were some news that Russia was about to become the world’s biggest wheat exporter for the first time in 2016.In the mean time The Black Sea region consisting of Russia, Ukraine, and Kazakhstan also has become a force in the international wheat market.

How about crops in South America? They are also producing corn, soya bean and wheat.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/w...production.html

nipper
post Posted: Mar 28 2017, 11:18 AM
  Quote Post

http://www.worldstopexports.com/wheat-exports-country/

Top 7 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of wheat during 2015:
  1. Canada: US$6.2 billion (16.2% of total wheat exports)
  2. United States: $5.6 billion (14.5%)
  3. Australia: $4.4 billion (11.4%)
  4. France: $4.3 billion (11.1%)
  5. Russia: $3.9 billion (10.1%)
  6. Germany: $2.4 billion (6.3%)
  7. Ukraine: $1.4 billion (3.8%)
2016 probably different.

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: marketwinner  

Mags
post Posted: Mar 28 2017, 10:28 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: marketwinner's post @ Mar 27 2017, 05:42 PM

Well there should be more interest than there is. Last i knew we grew enough wheat for 300 million people. It's (inc. ag sector) is a significant part of our economy. But Canberra will keep messing them around, while allowing the tech sector stupid subsidies and exceptions.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: marketwinner  

marketwinner
post Posted: Mar 27 2017, 05:42 PM
  Quote Post

Anybody interested in Wheat Market?

Appreciate all thoughts

marketwinner
post Posted: Mar 27 2017, 05:19 PM
  Quote Post

http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/soa...319-gv1rbx.html

Soaring wheat production to fuel GDP growth in 2017

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING