Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

113 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

"English as she is spoke", Our language and its quirks
mullokintyre
post Posted: May 30 2021, 06:48 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ May 30 2021, 02:34 PM

Very Subtle, very Subtle.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

nipper
post Posted: May 30 2021, 02:34 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ May 30 2021, 07:47 AM

came across both allusive and elusive in an article:
These days he occupies a similar position in the pantheon of Western pop music as Picasso does in art. His allusive lyrics, spanning low and high culture – from hepcat slang to Shakespeare – expanded the vocabulary of pop songs to the furthest limit. Both writing and performing his material, he enacted a break with the Tin Pan Alley model of hired songwriters producing hits for singers. Rock music, with its valuing of self-authorship and freedom, has roots in Dylan’s move in 1965 from acoustic folk to electrically amplified songs.

Yet for all his achievements and acclaim, including the Nobel Prize for literature, Dylan still has the capacity, and the urge, to catch his public unaware. There is no resting on laurels from him, no loafing about on crowded sidewalks. He wants to be at once canonical and elusive. As he told a newspaper interviewer in 1984: “I don’t think I’m gonna be really understood until maybe 100 years from now.”

If the riddle will finally be cracked in 2084, like one of those esoteric mathematical puzzles for which million-dollar prizes are offered, then it will mark the end of a vast profusion of exegesis, speculation and pedantry.

are you still awake there?

https://www.afr.com/life-and-luxury/arts-an...20210525-p57v04

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: draughtsman  

henrietta
post Posted: May 30 2021, 07:47 AM
  Quote Post

With the Champions League final just ended ( Chelsea won.... YEAH) , there are a few , I assume, hurried reports being made. eg

Manchester City’s wait for an allusive Champions League title goes on

Not sure what "allusive" actually means , but no doubt it is a word , and no doubt "predictive text" will be blamed.

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

nipper
post Posted: May 25 2021, 09:41 AM
  Quote Post

It's practically a cliche to refute modern pedantry by dredging up a bunch of times Shakespeare used a disputed form. Having said that:
  • in Macbeth, Donalbain warns Malcolm that "there's daggers in men's smiles";
  • in All's Well That Ends Well, a matron reports that "there's four or five" bound to Saint Jacques;
  • in Love's Labour's Lost, Berowne says "there's half a dozen sweets" while talking to the Princess of France;
  • "There's matters in these sighes," Claudius opines, in Hamlet.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-25/grammatical-errors-singular-plural-apostrophe-there-is-are/100143650

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: May 15 2021, 11:11 AM
  Quote Post

Flash Jim by Kel Richards. HarperCollins 2021
A nation is defined by its dictionaries. So it is somehow appropriate that Australia's first lexicon guide was a dictionary of slang and was written by a convict.

If you call your clothes your duds or your togs, ask for a dollop of ice cream on your dessert, say you have swags of sausages for the barbie, or call a drunk a lush you are talking like a convict, using flash words. There are hundreds of examples of convict slang still alive and functioning in the Australian language today.

James Hardy Vaux (aka Flash Jim ) had a colourful life; he was transported to Australia as a convict not once, but three times. He was the author of our first dictionary, published in 1819. He wrote it in the hope his little dictionary would prove so useful, and would so ingratiate him with the commandant, and that he would be relieved of his hard labour in the coal mine. What he wanted was a soft clerical job in the quartermaster's store. It worked.
(the modest compilation is included in Richards' book)

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: May 7 2021, 10:22 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: birnam's post @ May 7 2021, 09:43 AM

Close.
as this was uttered at the Half Yearly, it raised a few eyebrows, and some clarifications followed.

ANZ's corporate affairs honcho told us the phrase means "there is an intense focus and regular meetings with the CEO to get results faster".

CEO Shayne Elliott told a business journalist the phrase is talking about driving down costs through being a "simpler, better bank" for customers, which "will inevitably be safer [to] run and so would be lower cost".

Elliott himself conceded to 2GB that talk of "systematic cadence" and "bringing velocity to benefit realisation" sounded like "utter nonsense", though said he was glad it had delivered investors some "light humour". As for whoever wrote the offending slide, "maybe next time he can write the whole thing". Heaven forbid.

--------------------

birnam
post Posted: May 7 2021, 09:43 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ May 7 2021, 08:18 AM

They could hardly write "Doing our jobs leads to satisfactory outcomes faster" as, a/ why are all those PR people on the payroll and big bucks if not to know fancy words or, b/ we can't openly admit to not being as good at our jobs as we could've been.

nipper
post Posted: May 7 2021, 08:18 AM
  Quote Post

this was written , and a packet of Twisties to whomever can explain it to me:
on page 10 of ANZ’s latest investor presentation, that the bank’s “focused approach ensures a systematic cadence that adds velocity to benefit realisation”.

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Apr 7 2021, 06:51 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Apr 7 2021, 06:11 AM

Can I use it in Scrabble?

--------------------

henrietta
post Posted: Apr 7 2021, 06:11 AM
  Quote Post

Haven't got the whole alphabet yet ....... but getting there.

LGBTQIAPD individuals (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, queer, intersex, asexual, pansexual and demisexual).

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

113 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING