Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

28 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Euros are in a muddle for the next decade
mullokintyre
post Posted: Jul 16 2015, 11:10 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: maxwellreid's post @ Jul 16 2015, 09:42 AM

Would like to see an update from the man, I mean a lot of water has flowed under the Emmerich Rhine Bridge since 2011.
Ireland and Spain have largely recovered, Italy is in slightly better shape, and not sure about Portugal.
The only constant seems to be Greece.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

maxwellreid
post Posted: Jul 16 2015, 09:42 AM
  Quote Post

So Greek lawmakers have passed the reform/austerity. At the risk of being cynical, would I vote yes, so that I would continue to get paid in Euros, or vote no and get my salary in Drachmas. Get the money, then drag their feet.

--------------------
"A man lives a life shorter than a hundred years but worries a worry a thousand years long"

maxwellreid
post Posted: Jul 15 2015, 04:17 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jul 15 2015, 11:02 AM

Yes. here is what he has to say about the Germans, just to even it up

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2011/09/europe-201109

--------------------
"A man lives a life shorter than a hundred years but worries a worry a thousand years long"

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jul 15 2015, 11:02 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: maxwellreid's post @ Jul 15 2015, 08:02 AM

Great read, that Michael Lewis has excellent voice.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

maxwellreid
post Posted: Jul 15 2015, 08:02 AM
  Quote Post

This is a long but thought provoking article on the Greeks, by Michael Lewis.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2010/10/gre...ng-bonds-201010

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  nipper  

eshmun
post Posted: Jul 15 2015, 12:27 AM
  Quote Post

According to a Fitch Ratings press release dated 2 July 2015 the Greek banks are in so much trouble that it will be difficult to recapitalise them under current ECB banking rules. Apparently in March of this year 36% of domestic loans where in arrears. The situation is probably much worse now than in March. According to the report it took 2 years to lift capital controls on Cypriot banks after their collapse.

Eshmun

https://www.fitchratings.com/site/fitch-hom...lease?id=987366

"The liquidity position of Greek banks is much deteriorated without access to incremental ELA. The ECB only extends ELA to solvent banks and against acceptable collateral. The credit quality of Greek banks' domestic loan books is exceptionally weak. We calculate that for the country's four largest banks an aggregated total regulatory capital erosion equivalent to around 4.8% of risk-weighted assets (5% of domestic gross loans) would probably render them non-compliant with the EU minimum total capital requirement of 8%, assuming static risk-weighted assets.

At end-March, these banks reported 90-days-past-due loans equivalent to around 36% of total domestic loans, and arrears may since have risen significantly.

A swift lifting of capital controls is highly unlikely even if there is successful resumption of negotiations with the ECB, IMF and European Commission. Controls on Cypriot banks, lifted in May, lasted two years."

Brierley
post Posted: Jul 14 2015, 05:20 PM
  Quote Post

Podcast of an interview yesterday with recently resigned Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  

nipper
post Posted: Jul 13 2015, 06:49 PM
  Quote Post

Yes, we have a deal ... that a deal can be reached

... Sounds familiar !

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

eshmun
post Posted: Jul 13 2015, 05:44 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: joules mm1's post @ Jul 13 2015, 04:52 PM

According to what I posted earlier.

"Under the terms set before Tsipras on Sunday night, the Greek parliament has to endorse the entire package on Monday and then pass several pieces of legislation by Wednesday, including on pensions reform and a new VAT regime, before the eurozone will agree to negotiate a new three-year rescue package."

How do we know the European leaders speak for the Greek parliament. Have they done the numbers. There has been barely enough time for the package to have filtered through the web of Greek politics.

My earlier article talked of splits amongst among Tsipars's ministers and 15 law makers not approving the deal in its entirety. Has this now all been healed?

Eshmun

joules mm1
post Posted: Jul 13 2015, 04:52 PM
  Quote Post

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33503...me=news_central

Eurozone 'agreement' on Greece debt
  • 1 minute ago
  • From the section Europe

--------------------
. . . . . . . . everything has an art.....in the instance of the auction process, the only thing, needed to be listened to; price

28 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING