Agricultural Companies listed on ASX

krk004

thought this may be relevant to this thread. this is interesting commentary from dox coxe's weekly webcast:

http://events.startcast.com/events/199/B00.../eventframe.asp

key points:

we're in the midst of the greatest bull market in agricultural products

raw food up 31% in may

not time to placing additional money into stocks

reduce exposure to financials and increase exposure to agriculture related stocks

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In reply to: krk004 on Sunday 17/06/07 01:00pm

Hi krk, Re your list have you tallied just how many are technically subsiduries of Futuris? AAC.Tassal, Fruit/Vegtable distribution apart from Rural Banking, Real Estate & Development & now Broadband with Optus. After years of Stagnation shares are finn aa llyy starting to move North & now with drought break (When they still made money) can only accellerate. I hope they now can start compensateing we many patient long time suffering shareholders who just watched the entire market flash past them over last few "Bull" years. I had kept mine as core base stock & was begginning to regret my decision. Fortunately rest of Portfolio kept me going. I hope our patience is finally to be rewarded & expect a string of new floats like AAC, (Which they still retain majority) BRS

(Both were very nicely) now come Elders as a Blue chip in it's own right). Communicatins division Co with Optus. Plantation division etc. etc??

Next few years will be interesting & I shall continue to have, Hold, & wait! ww > b.

In reply to: krk004 on Sunday 17/06/07 03:00pm

Hi krk...you can add FEA...has a 'top buy' on it from CCZ Equities and 'outperform' from Linwar Securities (institutional broker). FCL hold nearly 30%, MD and CEO of FCL, Les Wozniczka is on the board. Holding fea.

rgds.

I was aware that FCL had interest in Elders (100%), AAC and some forestry, but not aware of much else. Not necesarily interested in buying them as they are too diversified. Definitely holding Elders, which would be a stand-alone blue chip/ private equity target!, is a plus for them.

Watched Inside Business on ABC the other week when they interviewed AWB CEO about changing their name to Landmark (Elders No. 1 competitor). His reply was along the lines of 'we would see this as a natural progression at some stage' - interesting to watch this one play out?.

One other you could arguably add to list, I have overlooked from mine, was COZ. A quasi - agricultural company, which I know has a few followers here on SS, especially with debate about global warming & greenhouse emissions 'heating up' (pardon the pun).

Keep them coming peoples, I am particularly interested in what the switched-on community here at Sharescene.com have uncovered that I have not come across yet.

DYOR http://www.sharescene.com/html/emoticons/graduated.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I hope a few have picked up on the recent trend in this sector. We saw it in stark contrast to a very red market today.

AAC through $3.00 and another new high, finished up 4%. It is up over 20% since this thread started a month ago, and 67% for the last 6 months!

FCL held its own and is just off the ATH, and up about 10% for the month.

AAQ made further recent highs today and is up 20% for the month so far.

GNC up about 12% this month.

SHV up 5.5% today.

GTP up 25% this month so far.

IPL up 12% this month, and over 100% in the last 6 months!

TFC up 11% for the month, and over 100% in the last 6 months!

and of course WES, but it is up for other reasons.

Others worth a look include; TGR, WBA, AWB & FFI.

Cheers

DJ

"Guru has a nibble at the Grain"

Just noticed this short article in today's Australian Financial Review (page 42).

Talks of (a Warren Buffett - like investor) Martin J. Whitman and his investment team (Third Avenue Management) taking a stake in ABB.

5% in December and now up to 6%.

As it finishes of wih mentioning AWB wobbling and the sector ripe for consolidation -there 'could be some action afoot!'

DYOR

In reply to: krk004 on Thursday 28/06/07 05:27pm

And a list of ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¹Ãƒƒâ€Â¦ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“Rural StocksÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ got a mention on the Market Update aspect to ABCÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s Sunday morning Inside Business ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬Ãƒâ€Â¦ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“ commenting on how well they have been performing recently!

Keep an eye on this sector peoples!

• 1 month later...

Interesting article to ponder;

Get Ready for Peak Grain

Makes me think in one of two ways;

1. As a contrarian, we have reached a high for grain prices and this concept -'peak grain' is a sign of a top? Similar to other current headlining stories on housing affordability(?)

Or

2. Get on board the Ag. stocks associated with grain? (some to mention - AWB, ABB, GNC)

Food for thought (pardon the pun!)

DYOR

• 3 months later...

PrimeAg. Aust. Ltd. - PAG

Saw this company IPO being 'promoted' by CommSec as I logged on today;

PrimeAg site

Thought it may be of interest for the few that follow the Ag. stocks on (or about to list on) the ASX.

Would be interested to hear other's thoughts, especially those who may be living in nearby regions that properties to be bought are in.

DYOR & KYOIS. - I am considering a small stake.