ShareCafe

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...

As this stock has risen nearly 200% in approx. 5 months since listing at $1 in the IPO (currently $2.91) - I thought it would be appropriate to start a new thread.

(canyon)They have a 100% owned open cut coal mine currrently in production.

(Tarrawonga) A 70% interest in this one - and is also producing

(Werris Creek) A 40% interest in this one - and is also producing

(Belmont) production beginnning in 2008 (100% owned)

two other proposed mine sites Narrabri North and Sunnyside are currently undergoing an environmental assessment.

A growth story that has already attracted some interest and will continue to do so as it expands its operations.

as always DYOR

a quick summary of what these guys are up to!

Profile - Whitehaven Coal Limited

BUSINESS SUMMARY

Whitehaven Coal Limited (WHC) is a coal mining company with the projects located in the Gunnedah Region of New South Wales. Company operates two open cut mines near Boggabri and is a major shareholder of the Werris Creek mine north of Quirindi. WHC is actively seeking to develop several other small mines in the region and a major longwall mine south of Narrabri. Whitehaven also operates the Coal Handling and Preparation Plant (CHPP) and rail loader at Gunnedah.

Canyon:

The open cut mine is located 15 km east of Boggabri. Annual production is up to 1Mt. The mining method is truck and excavator. Raw coal is trucked 30 km to Gunnedah for washing at the company's CHPP and then railed to Newcastle for export.

Tarrawonga:

The open cut mine is located 16 km north-east of Boggabri. Mining is by truck and excavator method to produce up to 1.5Mtpa. The mine is operated by Tarrawonga Coal Pty Ltd and is a joint venture between Whitehaven (70%) and Idemitsu (30%).

Werris Creek:

The open cut mine is located 4 kms south of Werris Creek. Whitehaven has a 40% interest in the Werris Creek JV, with Creek Resources holding 60%. Production is at the rate of 1.5Mtpa. The coal is transported directly by rail from Werris Creek to the Port of Newcastle.

Belmont:

The open cut project is located 28 km north of Gunnedah and is due to commence in 2008. Using truck and excavator method mining is proposed at 1.5Mtpa. As at June 2007, an environmental assessment was being prepared.

Narrabri North:

The project is located between Boggabri and Narrabri. An Environmental Assessment is being proposed for Stage 1 of the project. Initial production using continuous miners will be 1.5Mtpa. A rail loop will be constructed for rail transport of coal from the project site to Newcastle for export. Stage 2 plans include the production of an additional 4.5Mtpa from longwall mining.

Sunnyside:

The open cut project site is located 15 km west of Gunnedah and will produce up to 1Mtpa. The coal will be trucked by road to Gunnedah CHPP for washing & loading for transport by rail to the Port of Newcastle. A truck and excavator mining method will be used with auger mine from highwall if feasible

just released - company's quarterly report

WHITEHAVEN COAL LIMITED

QUARTERLY REPORT TO 30 SEPTEMBER 2007

HIGHLIGHTS

ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ Saleable coal production up 57% over the previous corresponding period;

ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ Coal sales up 90% over the previous corresponding period, including traded coal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

There appears to be no particular interest about this coaler. The interesting thing is that WHC has a few ex-Excel directors on board and they should add a lot of experience. Talked with one analysts and according to his opinion the drawback is that the company is only one year old and there are no historical data, real PE is distorted, is officially covered only by one or two analysts.

I am no expert but the stock seems OK and just would like to hear from SS members who are interested in WHC. Regards. http://www.sharescene.com/html/emoticons/wub.gif