Cobalt (The next Uranium)

woteva

Tesla is a long way away from no cobalt batteries...

Maybe one day it will happen - but if you look at Cobalt projections and total amount of cobalt utlised with EV and related....

Cobalt is in demand...

Elon Musk was sensationalising for Tesla.. and he has done wonderful things but this is part of the marketing...

and

... no... you dont always post both sides of the story - but that's Ok, as you have always had a consistent style of posting that I find informative and helpful, often with contrarian views that I don't agree with, but make me think...

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tesla is a long way away from no cobalt batteries.

A little further down this thread I posted an extract from Tesla regarding cobalt under the heading - "From Chris Berry - an extract of TESLA's comments regarding the reduction of cobalt in their batteries"

Elon Musk was sensationalising for Tesla

In the article I posted, it's Panasonic making the claim - it carries a little more weight for me - it may not for others, but that's OK

no... you dont always post both sides of the story

Are you sure - just go through this thread and you'll find BOTH positive and not so positive articles on the subject - much the same on all threads. I post then let those who read - if anyone does - make their own judgement. Not trying to push one view over the other - both can impact one's investment

Blacksheep

I actually read Sharescene to read the interesting articles you find and post...

and yes - some of your biases do show through - but so do mine.

as for Panasonic - they have their biases as well and Tesla is one of them as they are a major client...

Elon Musk started this with his no cobalt statement and Panasonic has backed their client as they are presumably going to be making them for him

I just dont think the article was gospel and Cobalt is going to be increasingly needed over the next 5-10 years...

myshares, my only "bias" is seeking the truth and capturing anything that may influence the companies/commodities in which I have an interest. The Morgan Stanley claim about lithium had an immediate impact on the SP of most, if not all, lithium stocks recently - most have since recovered. The Panasonic reveal didn't have the same reaction but could. As a holder of stocks in this, or any commodity one needs to take on board the feelgood stories along with the not so - unless one is a set and forget investor

Nothing I post should be interpreted as "gospel" - it's simply posted for individuals to process, or ignore if they chose.

But thank you for tuning into SS to read my biased posts - you remind me a lot of a skorpian on another site - a site noted for biased feelgood stories :biggrin:

Great article....

No one really seems to be talking about significant increases in Cobalt supply to meet the rising demand...

If Cobalt prices were to start to fall from their peak... I wonder if that would change the future move to 811 in preference for the stability and safety...

A few Cobalt graphs from a UBS 2018 presentation

http://i68.tinypic.com/34985e8.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2q2h0ky.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2w4012t.jpg

and cross reference that with this now slightly out of date of Cobalt stocks on the ASX. add in the other world exchanges and there is a lot more Cobalt coming.

Celsius is a good example that has just reported a good Cobalt resource..and Nzuri is another, neither of which made the above UBS table

https://smallcaps.com.au/cobalt-stocks-asx-ultimate-guide/

Here's another view - no bias :biggrin:

German teardown firm gives insight on Tesla Model 3 materials cost and battery composition

Also notable were the conclusions of the German company about the Model 3ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s battery pack. Laboratory results shared with WirtschaftsWoche noted that TeslaÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s 2170 cells for the Model 3 consisted of 2.8% cobalt, 65% less than the industry average of 8%. Sven Bauer, Managing Director of Batterien-Montage-Zentrum (BMZ), one of GermanyÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s largest independent battery producers, stated that TeslaÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s reduction in cobalt use can give the company a competitive advantage.

ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“That would be a significant competitive advantage for Tesla. Cobalt is currently very difficult to get on the world market,ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ Bauer said.

TeslaÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s progress in its battery tech were highlighted in a recent report from advisory firm Benchmark Mineral Intelligence. According to BMI, Tesla has used less cobalt in its batteries since the days of the original Roadster and the Model S. With the Model S, for example, Tesla used up 11 kg of cobalt per car. Tesla is using 4.5 kg of cobalt for the Model 3, a 60% reduction.

TeslaÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s improvements showcased in the Model 3ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s 2170 battery cells were discussed during the companyÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s Q1 2018 Update Letter. According to the letter, the cobalt content of the companyÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s Nickel-Cobalt-Aluminum cathode chemistry is ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“already lower than next-generation cathodes that will be made by other cell producers with a Nickel-Manganese-Cobalt ratio of 8:1:1.ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ Such a ratio has not been attained by any competitor in the market so far.

The observations of the German firms about TeslaÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s battery tech in the Model 3 echo the findings of Detroit veteran Sandy Munro, whose company, Munro & Associates, is also in the process of tearing down and analyzing the compact electric car. In a recent episode of Autoline After Hours on YouTube, Munro stated that the Model 3ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s battery is the best in the industry today. Munro was particularly impressed with the .2-milliamp differential between the Model 3ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s battery modules, stating that ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“nobody (in the industry) can balance batteries that close.ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ÂÂ

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-pro...ardown-company/