A Random Walk Down Wall Street

BOOK CLUB

This topic has been created for free and open discussion of "A Random Walk Down Wall Street".

I invite any member to please feel free to post any comments or questions you have about this book. Even if you havn't read the book, feel welcome to discuss the general topic of the book.

WIN FREE BOOKS: Each week, members who make quality and interesting posts about this book or any other book in the ShareScene Book Club will be offered a free copy of a John Wiley investment book of their choice.

These book prizes are given to members who support and encourage intelligent discussion in the book club. Simply make a post in any of the Book Club topics to be in the running for a free book. So give it a shot!

From EducatedInvestor.com.au Online Book Store

The million-copy bestseller, now fully up-to-date and ready for post-dot-com investors. Using the dot-com crash as an object lesson in how not to manage your portfolio, here is the bestselling, gimmick-free, irreverent, vastly informative guide to navigating the turbulence on Wall Street and beat the pros at their own game. Skilled at puncturing financial bubbles and other delusions of the Wall Street crowd, Burton G Malkiel shows why a broad portfolio of stocks selected at random will match the performance of one carefully chosen by experts. Taking a shrewd look at the high-tech boom and its aftermath, Malkiel shows how to maximize gains and minimize losses in this era of electronic brokers, virtual gurus, and flashy investment vehicles. Learn how to analyze the potential returns, not only for stocks and bonds but for the full range of investment opportunities, from money market accounts and real estate investment trusts to insurance, home owning, and tangible assets like gold and collectibles. Decode the rating game for mutual funds and discover the unique advantages of index mutual funds over the wide range of riskier alternatives. And, in a special chapter appearing only in this paperback edition, tackle the tricky terrain of financial derivatives.

• 3 weeks later...

Similar to "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing" this book is obviously not targetted to Australians.

But what I have learned from this book "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" is that the lessons that occur overseas are (pretty much) exactly applicable here in Australia.

The key thing to mention with this book is it isnt an "academic theoretical how to text book". This is a commentary on REAL LIFE history, looking at real examples like the tech boom.

It does take you through some theory (Dow, Efficient Market, Life Cycle) but its always looking at history and real current examples and showing how they apply.

To be honest, I didnt "love this book" but I dont regret buying it.

It was too American for me (mutual funds, US indicies, US tax) but thats not to say I didnt learn some good things.

This book is NOT reccomended for early investors.

It is perfect for share trading history buffs, and people who enjoy reading an almost "biographical" look at wall street. Best for people with 5+ years of investing experience who just want to broaden their horizons.

If you are looking for a HOW TO book this is not it.

If you are the kind of person who has read "Reminiscenses of a Stock Operators" you will LOVE THIS.