GLOBAL DISASTER BOARD

wolverine

i just wanted to make a place to chat for all the folk that think the world is doomed due to climate change, global politics and other assorted reasons.

i think the world will be just fine.

i have assumed the position, tree huggers, lefties, doomsdayers, activist students i am notifying you that i have assumed the position feel free to kick away.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reply to: wolverine on Monday 04/12/06 01:33pm

Hey Wolverine,

Your perrenial optimism is cool, maybe we should invoke the "Self Fulfilling Prophecy" idea.

If we all think something horrendous will happen it often does, if we all see the negatives and allow them to "get to us" the bad ---t follows. Notwithstanding there certainly are issues to be dealt with.

Alternatively if we all take the positive side, that has equal validity, because we will all do our bit and the rest of the crew (Pollies and Businesses) will follow when they see their best interests lie in this direction and they can move quick when they want to.

Alternatively can my boot reach you from WA for a gentle kicking?

Cheers

Wedge

In reply to: bello on Monday 04/12/06 02:12pm

lol 3mm per year, who really cares. my place will be waterfront in about a million years, yippeeeee!

we only have about 40-50 years worth of oil left to burn, once we run out, we will have global cooling and all will fixed by nature.....

QUOTE (Jay @ Monday 04/12/06 02:50pm)

1 cm every 3.3 years (at present rates).

For every centimetre there is a 1 metre storm surge encroachment into dune / beach systems .

How long till the Sunshine Coast Fishing Club is fishing in the club rooms, lol ?

Seriously, I do reckon humans with money and resources will adapt / alter their lifestyles and habitats, and am not personally stressed .

However I am not sure about poorer nations like in the Pacific and Bangladesh . Where do they go ?

How will you cope with a refugee population increase in Australia ?

New members at the SCFC ?

In reply to: bello on Monday 04/12/06 02:56pm

bello, i have lived ON the beach all my life, and over that time have seen the beach disappear some years and gain massive amounts other years. There is no clear pattern imo. Maybe some idiot uni student in the city has some far fetched views on this, but they really should try living in a house on the beach for a prolonged period of time, not just the time it takes to suit a bias argument for a paper they are writing.

I now live about 100m from the beach as of February this year, but prior lived in a house on the sand dunes.

In reply to: Jay on Monday 04/12/06 01:05pm

Maybe some idiot uni student in the city has some far fetched views on this, but they really should try living in a house on the beach for a prolonged period of time, not just the time it takes to suit a bias argument for a paper they are writing.

sea level rise is the idea of one student?

In reply to: mattimick on Monday 04/12/06 03:08pm

nope, disappearing of beaches/dunal systems due to sea level rising. simply debating the fact that in the last 20 years, nothing has changed on the beaches on the east coast imo. some years the beaches get detroyed, other years you have to walk a hundred or two metres from the dunes to the water.

what i was getting at is, most of the time the ppl preaching this rubbish, take a certain event and try to blame something else.

ie a bad storm/cyclone washes away the beach. this has been happening for as long as i can remember, they come to the beach from the city/uni or wherever, see the "devastation" and oh my god it must be due to global warming or some other anomoly. they fail to come back in 6 months time only to realise thats things are back to normal and they world aint going to end.

QUOTE (Jay @ Monday 04/12/06 03:05pm)

Jay, I have a small farm on the beach in Tasmania and am aware that dune systems alter.

Every geography student from year 8 learns that, not just those who live on beaches .

But storm severity is increasing. Seas are rising . Dune and beach natural recovery systems will not keep up with the change .

I know of two beaches in Victoria that are receding and not recovering - Portsea and Pt Lonsdale . The latter has resorted to stone walls in some sections .

Lucky Noosa can afford to replinish its beaches with sand from other areas .