ShareCafe

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PYC was involved in a research program with a grant from the "Neurotrauma Research Program".

http://www.waimr.uwa.edu.au/nrp/highlights.html

QUOTE (from NRP's web site)

# Dr Peter Arthur's team has:

* demonstrated that human brain cells can adapt to reduced oxygen concentrations by "hibernating" (just like the turtles that inspired this work!);
    * developed a reliable brain cell culture model that allows the examination of signaling pathways involved in delayed neuronal death;
    * developed a 'peptide inhibitor' to block the activity of one of the key proteins responsible for delayed brain cell death following injury;
    * discovered that this peptide inhibitor prevents necrotic cell death (often considered an irreversible process) as well as programmed/delayed cell death;
    * discovered that the inhibitor may work by blocking production of reactive oxygen species (free radicals) from the mitochondria.

Hence, I actually believe that the neurotrauma compound is actually further advanced that we might otherwise have suspected. There is alot of coverage about the burns peptide - strange silence on the neurotrauma program.

I'd further speculate the following - Eli Lilly has an interest in Aussie neurological drug development. I believe they have funded some of the research initiatives - even benefiting, directly, NRP(?). Hence, I would speculate that Eli Lilly could be a left field suitor for the neurotrauma Phylomer programme.

Eli Lilly Australia Pty Ltd ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬Ãƒâ€Â¦ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“ Grant offer $10 million

Based in Sydney, Eli Lilly Australia will increase investment in drug discovery and pharmaceutical development R&D in Australia, via research collaboration, partnerships and contracts with universities, medical research institutes and biotechnology companies. Lilly will concentrate on a key area of expertise and collaborative experience, with the therapeutic area of neuroscience being a key component. Lilly will also grow the activity of its clinical research centres of excellence ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬Ãƒâ€Â¦ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“ the Clinical Outcomes Research Institute and Global Data Management Centre, cementing Australia as the key centre for clinical trial management for the Corporation.

WARNING: This is highly speculative - while I believe it is feasible there are vast assumptions being made - hopefully others on the thread will be in a position to discount or support this speculation.

Just in case someone is actually reading these posts ...

If you could demonstrate:

a) the pathogenesis of neurological trauma; and

b) produce a model of this disease state

You would have just performed a GREAT service to mankind.

Further, if you could detail the biochemistry of what is happening AND demonstrate the possibility of:

i) Putting cells into hibernation; and

ii) Blocking the core cause of pathogenesis.

You would have the basis for developing a very exciting new therapeutic for a large unmet disease state!

Finally, if you found a Phylomer peptide that could block neural trauma AND was effective in inhibiting necrotic cell death AND modulating programmed/delayed cell death ...

YOU WOULD HAVE A DRUG BLOCKBUSTER ON YOUR HANDS ....

Maybe I am excitable - when I read stuff like this on a research institute web site, it causes the adrenaline to flow.

This single compound would create a billion$ company. The fact that it's discovery is as part of 280million candidates detailed from protein folding shapes discovered through bioinformatics - this is completely, utterly amazing.

I will confess, the adrenaline flowed when I ready Paul Watt's Nature survey paper. Now, these neurological trauma results put the value of Phylomers up there with the discovery of DNA and the potential for genetic treatment of disease. I might be slightly exaggerating - but not by much.

I can feel a Nobel for Physiology or Medicine coming Paul's way ...

In reply to: Enumerate on Wednesday 21/05/08 10:49am

"Just in case someone is actually reading these posts ..."

Enumerate

I always enjoy reading your posts and like you Iam also excited by PYC's prospects for the future and perhaps I like a few others who post on this board also realise that a healthy dose of patience is required.At 9.5 cps it must represent an outstanding opportunity.

Cheers.

In reply to: Enumerate on Wednesday 21/05/08 09:49am

Whilst I do not in any way dispute your view, or the magnitude of the developments, there lies the essence of the problem.

The average punter such as myself, who dominate the current share register, have a very limited comprehension of the language you speak.

Clearly you have a scientific background and a far greater understanding of the research than most of the investors seeking commercial reward precipitating from those research findings.

I have made my case in earlier postings, that this company would benefit from the appointment/restructure of the existing board to include more "market savvy" commercial minds to convey the importance of these developments to a wider audience in lay terms.

Guys,

I was putting most of my research effort into the burns program - that compound was more advanced, in development terms, than anything else on the Phylogica roadmap; it is easy to deliver - slap it on topically; and potentially an easier regulatory hurdle - you can even class a dressing with the compound as a "medical device" <- no FDA trials.

When I read the Neurotrauma Research Program website on their progress and I clicked that they were talking about Phylomers ... I got very excited.

It is clear that they understand neurotrauma, in detail; they have good "models" to test potential drugs; and, they have a Phylomer as lead compound. This would be all I could hope for in a pre-clinical therapeutic development. Neurotrauma is an important disease state with no current good drugs (a large unmet need). You could, potentially, administer Phylomers from an Ambulance medicine cabinet (they are stable, they are simple to administer, hopefully toxicity is acceptable ...).

The amazing thing was ... the necrosis and apoptosis (trauma and programmed cell death, respectively) observations. Drugs in this category are very very important.

The company talks about a secret big pharma interest. I always thought that this was Johnson & Johnson with some anti-inflammation compound. (J&J have a blockbuster anti-body based anti-TNF drug for RA).

However, it is now clear to me that the neurotrauma compound is much more massive as a prospect. It does not seem a coincidence that Eli Lilly is building a neurological research programme in Australia - preparing for clinical trials.

I might be putting 2 + 2 together and getting 100, here.

This does not detract from the excitement over the possibility of modulating cell death mechanisms. This has massive potential ...

Sorry to be cryptic in my use of jargon - I confess, I thought I was jargon-free in my postings - but, in review, you are right. Hopefully the above communicates the possibilities and the excitement, more clearly.

In reply to: Enumerate on Wednesday 21/05/08 12:55pm

Enumerate.............Iam not a Geophysicist but it does not stop me from having a healthy interest in Petratherm and it's Geothermal activities (it is not quite so complicated as biochemistry) as with PYC enjoy doing the reading and "joining the dots" and those that I can't, well I wait for some-one who does have a clearer understanding and can explain it the way you have.

Cheers & thanks.

QUOTE (panguna @ Wednesday 21/05/08 05:05pm)

Panguana,

There is one strange fact that applies to bio-investment. It is actually better NOT to understand the practical difficulties. Technology solutions are usually found around problems - rather than focus on the immediate problem - focus on the eventual outcome.

I am reminded of the human genome project. (Mapping human DNA). 90% of the sequencing was done in the last 10% of the project time. When the researchers started the task - it was impossible - but they found ways to automate and speed the process. They finished in a time frame that surprised everyone - moreso the researchers involved!

• 3 weeks later...

Some issues with the USPTO patent suite have been expressed over at HC. I never really post there - but made an exception, to respond.

Phylogica has at least two USPTO issued patents <- status all fine

7,270,969 Methods of constructing and screening diverse expression libraries

6,994,982 Isolating biological modulators from biodiverse gene fragment libraries

Additionally, Paul Watt has another patent application that seems to be all fine, as well.

20070031832 Methods of constructing biodiverse gene fragment libraries and biological modulators isolated therefrom

In USPTO PAIR the Application Number is: 10/546,333

The IPAustralia patent base, for Paul, seems quite extensive:

1 2008200790 Biodiverse gene fragment libraries and biological modulators isolated therefrom Phylogica Limited Watt, Paul; Hopkins, Richard; Thomas, Wayne 2008-02-19 FILED

2 2006200082 Methods of constructing biodiverse gene fragment libraries and biological modulators isolated therefrom Phylogica Limited Watt, Paul Michael; Hopkins, Richard; Thomas, Wayne 2006-01-10 SEALED

3 2005274616 Peptide inhibitors of c-Jun dimerization and uses thereof Phylogica Limited Fear, Mark; Watt, Paul Michael 2005-08-22 FILED

4 2005250511 Peptide modulators of cellular phenotype and bi-nucleic acid fragment library Phylogica Limited Fear, Mark; Milech, Nadia Marian Dorothy; Watt, Paul Michael; Hopkins, Richard 2005-06-03 FILED

5 2004243340 An improved genetic screen for interaction interface mapping Phylogica Limited Bogoyevitch, Marie; Watt, Paul Michael; Hopkins, Richard 2004-05-31 FILED

6 2004213477 Modulating screening thresholds for N-hybrid screening Phylogica Limited Fear, Mark; Milech, Nadia; Watt, Paul; Hopkins, Richard; Cull, Vanessa 2004-02-20 LAPSED

7 2003302489 Methods of constructing biodiverse gene fragment libraries and biological modulators isolated therefrom Phylogica Limited Watt, Paul; Hopkins, Richard; Thomas, Wayne 2004-02-20 ACCEPTED

8 2001245584 Improved reverse n-hybrid screening method Phylogica Limited Golemis, Erica; Serebriiskii, Ilya; Watt, Paul Michael; Hopkins, Richard 2001-03-08 SEALED

9 2000042759 Isolating biological modulators from biodiverse gene fragment libraries Phylogica Limited Watt, Paul Michael; Thomas, Wayne Robert 2000-05-05 SEALED

10 1999022587 Peptide detection method Phylogica Limited Watt, Paul M.; Kees, Ursula R. 1999-01-08 SEALED

Seems the HC issue is a bit of a storm in a teacup. However, it is useful to do a partial review of the IP estate, just to check.

Everything seems just fine and dandy!