Nickel

theflasherman

In reply to: Hector on Tuesday 19/04/05 09:32pm

hi hektor

im not a fan of low grade nickel mines, particualrly laterites...nickel is much more difficult to extract than say copper...the risks of low grade nickel mines are much higher.

Yes Inco may come in and have a go, but there is no guarantee that HRR deposit will be like Murrin Murrin is for Minara (and even that has its problems here and there).

Having said that, HRR has a much better chance than that other rubbish SHN and JRV.

Good luck with it, a little too risky for mine.

Cdchi1

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reply to: nfr on Monday 18/04/05 11:06am

NFR,

Yes the ports will open again in summer as long as the temperature is warm enough.

But while the ports are closed there is no chance of LME Inventories increasing from Norislk & their major port of transfer.

Basically the major supplier of Nickel to LME inventories is impotent during that time so volatilty increases.

Russian winters can be hard to predict & very influencial on the world.

Adolf Hitlers "blitzkrieg" is one such situation.

cheers.

Inventories: 7,494 -378t

PON: +0.62% $7.4201

Strong GDP out of China today should keep resource prices high for sometime. I think BHP should of listend to Jonathan Kozol:

ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win.ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬Ãƒâ€Â¦ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“Jonathan Kozol

Inventories: 7,110 -114t

PON: +0.16% $ 7.2923

Some bullish info about Ni coming out of Falcon and Inco over the past few days and why not with the inventories going the way they are. Will it spur on the price? I did see one article mention $9US/lb sometime this year. Me thinks it will be sooner then latter and itÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s still $1US/lb below my targets. http://www.sharescene.com/html/emoticons/graduated.gif

Have a good w/e and donÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢t forget:

ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ÂÂ

All the best

LSM

In reply to: tom924 on Sunday 24/04/05 09:38am

Yes I made a mention in my BTX post this morning about the nickel price. Has enjoyed a bit of a price surge recently. http://www.sharescene.com/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Nickel 6,756 -354t

ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“Worth noting - this time last year nickel inventories were sliding and at 15,354 tons on 4/26/04. They would gradually fall to hit a low of 7,800 tons on 6/6/04, before climbing. As a reader reminded me today, we are already below last year's lowest point.ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ÂÂ

How low will it go? and will it affect price?

Inventories: 6,642 ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬Ãƒâ€Â¦ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“114t

PON: $7.3626US/lb (I think I will stop posting the PON as it doesnÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢t ever seem to do much).

I think the Chinese are employing Sun Tzu war tactics to keep these metal prices low. What will they do when there is none left? They will simple tell the world that they donÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢t need any more metal because they have been melting worthless US coins. This is the conspiracy I heard the other day and why not the way the $US peso is going. http://www.sharescene.com/html/emoticons/thumbdown.gif

In reply to: LSM on Tuesday 26/04/05 07:44pm

Hi LSM,

It would be interesting to see at just what Nickel price does it become economical to melt down U.S coins.

Here is an article concerning melting down Australian coins, The AUD was about 10-15% cheaper at the time from memory.

Nickels and dimes and other coins: letter

Thursday, November 20, 2003

WITH all this talk of how many washbasins people might buy at certain nickel prices I got to wondering at what nickel price it would pay me to sell my one for scrap. However, this seemed a ridiculous idea due to the changeover costs.

Then I remembered previous events of high silver prices causing people to melt down old-style silver coins (with real silver in them). I did some calculations on this possibility for our new coins.

Australian "gold" coins only have 2% Ni (plus 92% Cu and 2%Al) so they are no good. The "silver" coins are 25% Ni (plus 75% Cu). Of these the 50c is no good as it has relatively low weight for its denomination (only 1.4 times the weight of a 20c coin). So the smaller silver coins are the best target.

However, by my calculation, the nickel price would have to get to around US$45,000 a tonne before illegal coin melting became at all attractive! So it appears little of this will be occurring any time soon with Australian coins. With the present exchange rate trends perhaps US coins will become candidates for this treatment?

The broader implications of course are there must be others who think the same way and have more realistic sources of scrap nickel-bearing materials? The supply of scrap has to provide some sort of buffer on price for "new" nickel?

Mark Stokes

not an economist)

http://www.miningnews.net/storyview.asp?st...ctionsource=s88

Cheers.

GO NICKEL!!!!

If anyone here likes Hudsons Coffee, you can get a 'stainless' steel mug after collecting 199.5 points...you get 1 point per $1 spent. So assuming a medium sized butterscotch skinny latte which costs 3.70, you can get a free 'stainless' steel mug after 54 such lattes!

http://www.sharescene.com/html/emoticons/hypocrite.gif

Cdchi1