CRICKET

alfie156

It is a sad day, the day that Ricky Ponting retired, a day that we all knew was coming. It is like saying farewell to a bygone era, to a friend departing, that we have known all our lives, that we love for all their strengths and foibles. Ricky Ponting has been an exceptional cricketer of immense talent, a talent that he has made the most of. I have been critical of Ricky Ponting at various times over his career but I have never been critical of his courage, and it is his courage that underlies his talent that I admire most. In recent years that courage has never been more evident as time tested his talent, and yet he was able to look at himself and critically assess what he had to do to remain a significant contributor to our nations test team. Alas, he now no longer feels that he can continue to contribute in a meaningful way and once again he shows courage to stand up and state it so, to face the press brightly and with his so matter of fact manner that you could be forgiven for forgetting that this is the greatest run scorer Australia has ever seen. That this is the greatest Australian batsmen (and quite probably just the greatest batsman) I have ever seen play. Farewell Ricky Ponting, farewell.

Cheers Charles

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wolv,

You are like Tony Abbott, you can not prove your assertion.

Ricky Ponting captained through one of the most successful periods of Australian cricket, I think his record equalled that of Steve Waugh.

No doubt you are lamenting the losses to England, and while some of that may be due to Ricky's captaincy some is also attributable to a rising strong English team.

If you can't acknowledge that Ponting's success as a captain then you are as blind as Tony to a poor hand in poker and unable to bluff.

Regards Charles

Wolv,

He was not a dud captain.

He was not very imaginative but I reckon one I Chappell Would love to be the owner of his record as captain.

So your emotional outburst "he was a dud captain" does not sit with the facts.

Care to express what you mean by "dud"?

Regards Charles

Having great cattle means you get a good win/loss record. AB doesn't have a great win/loss record but I rate his captaincy well above Pontings.

Ponting seemed to struggle with understanding that you need twenty wickets to win a test match. He applied defensive fields in order to restrict runs and hoped that batsmen would get themselves out. Clarke has returned to more conventional catching positions and is reaping the benefits despite have a fragile batting and bowling attack.

Dud captains struggle to move the chess pieces around the board.

ps. please refrain from characterising my opinions as emotional outbursts. You are the one the one that seems to be getting breathless on this topic.

Charles you sir are a taking some strange pills to compare me to Tony Abbott....seriously wtf are you taking?

============================

i can't stop laughing-----"wolvy the aka abbott", hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

that must be really pissed you off wolvy!!!!

punter isn't a great captain, but when you call him "dud" that might upsets his fan.

hi wolv, now we have a good comparison...

Tony Abbott is as good a performer in politics

as Ricky Ponting was in captaining Australia..

Time for both to go, then going forward both teams performance will improve immensely..

This is IMHO... :biggrin:

Bring on the cricket stuff the politics... :devilsmiley: