BLT

colaiscute

... how about elaborating on what this Watson patent is you and Dirk are familiar with, if you would be so kind.

At a point in time I imagined that Genesis had the Watson RNAi conjugation delivery technology patented. At this time, I never found a formal reference to it at the USPO.

I am sure it exists, because they say it exists:

http://www.genesis.co.nz/Research++Development/ssRNAi.html

Multiple US provisional patent applications have been filed covering the design, modification and delivery of single-stranded oligonucleotides which anneal intra-cellularly and then initiate RNAi.

I must admit, I do not know what "anneal intra-cellulary and then initiate RNAi" means. Sounds quite exciting, though!

I have no idea if Dirk is onto this technology. Maybe he read the same public web page.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Enumerate...Is this the one you are looking for?

(WO/2005/080410) TARGETED DELIVERY OF RNA INTERFERENCE MOLECULES FOR THE TREATMENT OF IGE-MEDIATED DISORDERS

As used herein, the term"small interfering nucleic acid molecule", or siNA, refers to any nucleic acid molecule that is capable of modulating the expression of a gene by RNA interference (RNAi), and thus encompasses short interfering RNA (siRNA), short interfering DNA (siDNA), double-stranded RNA (dsRNA), double- stranded DNA (dsDNA), complementary RNA/DNA hybrids, nucleic acid molecules containing modified (semi-synthetic) base/nucleoside or nucleotide analogues (which may or may not be further modified by conjugation to non-nucleic acid molecules, custom modified primary or precursor microRNA (miRNA), short hairpin RNA (shRNA) molecules, and longer (up to one kb or more), dsRNA or hairpin RNA molecules, so long as these do not activate non-specific interference, for example via interferon. The hairpin region may be short (e. g. 6 nucleotides), long (undefined length), or may include an intron that is efficiently spliced in the targeted cells or tissues. Additionally, multiple tandem repeats in one orientation (for example, three or more short sense repeats) are included under the definition of siRNA, as these can elicit a potent RNAi like response in some systems.

Thanks for looking, but the patent application I was looking for was what became the Genesis single strand delivery technology.

The basic idea is that you take a double strand oligo (RNA or DNA) and convert to single strands. You then bind some conjugation protein to each single strand, which stabilises the molecules and promotes delivery across the cell membrane. Inside the cell the conjugation proteins are stripped away and the molecules "annealed" - whatever that means. (I think it might mean that the double strand oligo is then reconstituted but there are enzymes that can be triggered to populate a single strand with the complementary base pairs).

Anyway, it is possibly only of historical interest now. I believe that Plastic has an interest in this technology - it is not something that I am actively investigating - though I always have an open mind to new information.

In looking at the Krieg interview again posted by Plastic back in October 2010 Krieg quoted the following :

"The big pharma's Research Technology Center still anticipates filing an IND before the end of 2011, but now expects it to be for "an in-house nucleic acid drug" in 2011, rather than one necessarily based on RNAi. "

Now look at the article below about Santaris and their new HCV drug which is a nucleic acid drug (or microRNA).

http://www.dddmag.com/article-A-Locked-Nuc...is-C-51410.aspx

And who did Pfizer just put money into - Santaris up to $600 million.

www.fiercebiotech.com/press-releases/santaris-pharma-announces-expanded-worldwide-strategic-alliance-pfizer-dire

I wander were this leaves Tacere/Pfizer HCV. I'm sure we will soon find out as it should be a year on 2 February 2011 when an announcement should be due.

Just curious Enu, what are you next forecasts and what is your main driver for building a large position, licenses, takeover etc?

For entertainment value only of course http://www.sharescene.com/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Just for entertainment value and certainly not as investment advice ...

I believe that the Benitec position as an RNAi platform company has just been cemented with the allowance of the Graham '099. (Worth 20-30% of the global RNAi market, at least)

I believe that RNAi will come back into fashion as it becomes obvious to even big pharma that the tool used to discover new druggable biochemical pathways can actually become the drug (this is especially true of ddRNA - the preeminent RNAi discovery technology).

I believe that Benitec will transact as the mechanism to unlock the value in the IP portfolio. However, this could be done in phases.

I believe that the HIV lymphoma and T-cell "discovery program" will be outsourced to a partner to extinguish the La Jolla convertible note obligations.

I believe that Pfizer could be tempted to transact to extinguish the license/royalty payments for the HCV programme being conducted by Tacere

I believe there are others who would transact to lock in the foundation RNAi technology.

Clearly, I enjoy a rich fantasy life ... or ... have a profound insight into the development of the RNAi technology market.

believe that Pfizer could be tempted to transact to extinguish the license/royalty payments for the HCV programme being conducted by Tacere

if this could be the case what will happen to the milestone and royalty payments benitec is suppose to receive. How that the 099 has been up held how soon will we see royalties from the research reagents market? One last thing whats up with the PR there is absolutely no pr what so ever,!!!