SMN - STRUCTURAL MONITORING SYSTEMS PLC

mminion

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, attached link for installation of WiFi to the aircraft fuselage. Make up your own mind why Comparative Vacuum Monitoring for structural integrity is important.

https://www.gogoair.com/commercial/inflight-systems/2ku/

[/size]

Maybe your life is not worth saving, however other peopleâââہ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¾Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¢s lives are.

Remember aircraft at 35,000 ft the greater pressure is inside the cabin, pushing out against the fuselage. Pressure is forcing itself on the weakest link to get out.

https://www.newsweek.com/boeings-737-airpla...-problems-63629

How CVM works:

https://www.smsystems.com.au/cvm-how-it-works/

DYOR

As Insaid, the vast majority of RPT aircraft already have data up links.

The placement of the antenna is citical, it would not likely be where a Vacuum differential will be.

Your URL links are fine, but donâââہ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¾Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¢tmake the connection about why the wifi antenna will create a requirement for monitoring.

I am not aan airline pilot, but have a Commercial Multi engine Intrument rated Pilots license, so have a small interest in these things.

Mick

I think these monitoring sensors may find their place in production aircraft in certain areas, but I can't see it happening with inflight wifi installations here at least. And I mean that literally. It's part of my job.

I have heard nothing in regards to any of these systems in my airline in regards to wifi or any other system or area. Not saying it won't happen, but it won't be soon where I work.

The antennae these days are not that intrusive into the airframe. Doublers are rivetted onto the skin and the antenna attached to links installed onto those doublers. The ribs are reinforced internally. A few small holes go through the skin for coax cables and power which have pressure seals. Doublers also riveted onto this area.

Engineers have been putting doublers onto airframes for decades and are more often than not over engineered. The engineering behind it is solid.

Wifi is now being installed on production lines which will make it even more streamlined and an integral part of the airframe.

A wifi antenna installation is no more dangerous than any other intrusion into an airframe like a door or window. Fitting off these things is a slow and detailed procedure that is quite exacting, all in accordance with approved engineering data and inspected during production.

As I said SMN may find its niche into production aircraft in certain areas, but I cant see too many operators retro fitting them.

Don't get me wrong , I hope they do kick goals.

Guys, it's great to read different views with reason why you do not believe in CVM technology.

At this juncture, the share price agrees with your views. However, you would have to agree from all reports, such as this one # https://aip.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1063/1...74616?class=pdf from 2017, the leading experts in the field of Aviation testing by Dennis Roach and Paul Swindle in SHM & NDT.

Many experts in the field of engineering testing from Sandia Labs to FAA to Delta Airlines & Boeing, have been testing CVM sensors for many years. This technology has its place in the aviation industry, and the long awaited SB and STC's we are all waiting on, expected in H2 2019.

Groundbreaking CVMTM 2KU WiFi approval expected in Q3-2019, via Supplemental Type Certificate (âââہ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“STCâââہ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’‚ÂÂ) www.asx.com.au/Smn.

Further proof by the experts :

http://a4andtforum.com/wp-content/uploads/...A-Sept-2018.pdf

So in summing up, who would you believe, some poster, a guy down the road, the taxi driver or annadotal evidence gathered over many years of testing carried out by the experts?

DYOR

Guys, it's great to read different views with reason why you do not believe in CVM technology.

Nowhere did I say anything like that. I'm saying here on actual installation of wifi , there is no talk at all about CVM. I've heard nothing to indicate its use anywhere here at all. That said we are a backwater in aviation, so I can only talk from my own experience.

Aviation tech is hard road to hoe as you well know. Movement is glacial and the road is full of technical , legal and procedural potholes.Not to mention that getting airline owners to spend a cent more than what is mandated is like pulling teeth.

Mick will be very familiar with this.

Hi All,

Just to clarify, I think you are both correct.

CVM is not related to the actual WiFi, but is related to the Wifi radome (see below - apologies if the formatting whacky)

Cheers

Dr_dazmo

https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20190131/pdf/4426v3k2vl3dnc.pdf

SMS and Delta Engineering Enter into a Memorandum of Understanding

SMS and Delta Engineering, a Panasonic Company,have entered into an MOU to define the commercial relationship between SMS and DE in relation to the installation and approval of CVM sensors for large radome installations for âââہ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“WiFi systemsâââہ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’‚ÂÂon commercial aircraft. Delta Engineering is not affiliated with Delta Air Lines. Delta Engineering holds the Supplemental Type Certificates (âââہ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“STCâââہ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’‚ÂÂ) controlling the installation and inspection protocals for many of the current WiFi systems, primarily the 2K and 2KU systems. Delta Engineering and SMS will seek approval from the FAA fora new STC which will explicitly designate CVM as an alternative method of inspection for the WiFi radome on aircraft. SMS is targeting the first installations on aircraft as early as Q3/Q4 of this year.

Delta Air Lines has led the industry by adopting the new generation 2KU radome system across a major part of the Delta Air Lines fleet. With assistance from Delta Engineering, SMS has designed a CVM Kit for B737NG900 series aircraft. SMS and Delta Engineering will use this initial design,as well as previously completed POADTE-SHM data packages,to seek FAA approval for the new STC. Overall, the incumbent inspection protocols place a very large burden on operators given the frequency of the mandated inspection, the complexity of the maintenance tasks required and the distinct possibility that the aircraft is held out of service for an additional day due to a myriad of unforeseen delays in the inspection. SMS is highly encouraged that multiple operators are now focused on these applications given the sheer number of aircraft affected and the ability of CVM to materially reduce inspection duration and aircraft downtime. We look forward to working with Delta Engineering Organization Designation Authorization (ODA) to obtain FAA approval of the STC, and then proceeding quickly toward global industry adoption of CVM as a sole mandated, commercial solution.