CCX - CITY CHIC COLLECTIVE LIMITED

ShareCafe

In reply to: spottygoose on Tuesday 03/05/05 02:05pm

Remember I received free copies of "Intelligent Investor" He said if your going buy any stock make sure you buy Millers Retail(MRL) Think at that time it was over $2.00. Glad I did not take that advice what are they 70cents now.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In reply to: spottygoose on Tuesday 03/05/05 02:05pm

They plugged it, and plugged it and plugged it. Many people bought in solely on their recommendation. They continued to plug it also as it fell, fell and fell. Now they have a "hold" recommendation on it. To their credit they have been open about it being a bad call still one must question why they continued to plug it for so long.

This is what the Intelligent Investor had to say in an email out today

Recommendation: Hold

Miller's revamped board announced last week that it would undertake a wide-ranging 'strategic review', with a focus on the discount variety division. With the performance of the division still disappointing - and apparently not improving - we suspect Miller's could take the decision to sell it, assuming that's possible of course. Such a sale would likely result in a significant writedown, as we alluded to in issue 166/Dec 04 (Hold - $1.01), although it would also reduce the company's debt levels. The share price has fallen 19% since issue 173/Apr 05 (Hold - $0.90), although most retailers have experienced significant price weakness lately. The results of the strategic review are due towards the end of May and we'll take another look at the company soon. Until then, HOLD.

• 1 month later...

MRL "Go lo" again? MRL Fashion Club members buying?

Strangely, It went up slowly. Could there be some news coming or Gary Perlstein (CEO of MRL) & Investec buying more or other value investor look into it?

Well most brokers do not like MRL anymore including the longer term supporter, Intelligent Investor (hold rating now). But at least one broker (Aegis) is bullish and has a buy on it at 87c, report issued on 7 June 2005 after the MRL strategic review. The last time Aegis has a buy on it about 85c early in the year before Investec bought into MRL between 88c to 110C. It did a big jump to more than 120c over a few days/week. Would history repeat itself? No one will know.

One fund manager Tyndall (refer to the latest Personal Investor June issue page 30, "Bargain Hunting, How to find value in Choppy Markets" ) is also looking at MRL and PPX (PaperlinX) and RCL (Repco). PPX has started moving in the last few days/week.

As always do your own study, don't lose any skirts that you bought from Katies, 1629 or Miller fashion club.

Cheers & regards,

Busylion on behalf of SJDT

• 4 months later...

In reply to: honeycomb on Wednesday 02/11/05 07:07pm

Millers Retail has weak retained earnings and a high debt level indicating a high level of risk. Very much a speculative buy. Looking at the chart over the last year there have been a few of these spikes that have led to nothing. Of course, this time could be different. I'm sure Intelligent Investor must surely rate this stock as a Buy.

In reply to: trisail on Thursday 03/11/05 09:20am

I'm another 'ex' Intelligent Investor subscriber. Although I take full responsibility for my investment decisions, on a few occasions I backed their judgment against my own (or was a bit too lazy at the time to do full research). Sold ALL and RIN way too early and bought MRL and IFM well above their bottom. Down big $ in real and opportunity upside as a result.

If I don't trust their judgment over my own, and always do my own full research now, why do I need them???