ShareCafe

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

AD

I suspect it is having a sympathy selloff to PRY, who had it's rep this morning. Their NPAT was up 500%, the div was doubled, but the Fed gov reductions in reimbursement had the biggest effect for the future imo cause it got absolutley belted on open.

SHL has imaging too. so i guess it will suffer the same.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

NO GOOD NEWS FOR INVESTORS :angry2:

SONIC HEALTHCARE EARNINGS UPDATE

Sonic Healthcare Limited (ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“SonicÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ÂÂ) (SHL.AX) advises that largely due to an unexpected and temporary impact on

Australian pathology revenues, the company is likely to fall short of its guidance for the 2010 financial year.

The revenue shortfall follows from Government cuts to Australian Medicare fees for pathology services, effective 1

November 2009. Although Sonic introduced billing policy changes to offset these cuts, two significant and simultaneous

market events have impacted revenue growth and therefore earnings for the year:

ï‚· Sonic Queensland pathology volumes ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬Ãƒâ€Â¦ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“ The introduction of distinctive new billing arrangements in SonicÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s

Queensland operations resulted in loss of market share. Following the subsequent reversal of these

arrangements, almost all lost volume has recently returned to Sonic.

ï‚· Australian pathology market volumes ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬Ãƒâ€Â¦ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“ Since the introduction of the Medicare fee cuts, growth rates have

fallen to abnormally low levels, with negative growth in the March quarter (refer Australian Medicare statistics).

It is anticipated that the normal drivers of pathology demand (preventative medicine, growth and ageing of

population, new tests etc) are likely to resume their long-term and increasing influence on volume growth in

coming months. Volumes in recent weeks suggest that this may have already commenced.

A contributing factor to SonicÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s current position is the lower than expected revenue growth of its Australian radiology

division. The anticipated benefit from recent Medicare fee increases (applicable exclusively to ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“bulk-billÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ or Medicarefee-

only examinations) has been offset by lower average fees and increased competition from bulk-billing competitors,

including State government subsidised public hospital radiology operations. Where necessary, Sonic has modified its

billing strategies to accommodate this market dynamic.

Sonic Healthcare CEO, Dr Colin Goldschmidt said: ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“The issues impacting our full-year guidance are confined to our

Australian operations only and reflect industry destabilisation flowing from Government interventions in billing

arrangements. These are short-term external influences and do not reflect on the sound fundamentals of our

operations. I wish to emphasise that Sonic Healthcare remains in a strong and healthy position across all key operating

regions and businesses. In particular, our European and USA operations continue to perform strongly and to

expectation. It is disappointing and unfortunate that the world-class Australian pathology industry has been stressed to

this extent by Medicare fee cuts and related impacts. The temporary setback in our Queensland pathology operations

has been exacerbated by an unexpected concurrent drop in national pathology market growth levels. It is likely that

national pathology demand has fallen temporarily as a result of the recent market instability and the widespread

publicity surrounding pathology billing changes. However, our Australian pathology division continues to hold its strong

and market-leading position and there is evidence of market share gains in States other than QueenslandÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ÂÂ.

With two monthsÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ trading still to follow, SonicÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s net profit for FY 2010 is now estimated to be in the range of A$290-295

million, slightly exceeding the prior yearÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s profit on a constant currency basis. Excluding future business acquisitions

and on a constant (FY 2010) currency basis, it is expected that net earnings growth of 10-15% will be achieved for FY

• 3 weeks later...

I fully agree; not good news for investers who are already holding. I guess the dividend is ging to be down "a tad", too. Not good, indeed. But, and I don't get it too right too often; I sold my SHL shares at $14 a while back, and now very happy to rebuy as we are only looking at a temp. downturn. The capital gain over the next year will more than make up for the drop in Dividends. What about topping up at a $10.50 low to reduce the overall unit costs?

Just trying to see the possitive in this "kick in the guts".

Cheers GERD

I bought it first time when it was at around $10.50 , then sold them at around $14.5. when it came down back to around $13 level I thought it was a good time to get back into the stock. I underestimated the impact of regulation on this one and sort of thought that they have good earnings generated from overseas anyway that should at least reduce the adverse impact of sudden change in regulation.

edit: btw, it looks pretty good today. many buyers are returning.

Thanks for that bit of info; no wonder it ran away from me this morning. Let's see what tomorrow will bring; the usual would be a bit of "calming". Maybe I'll be luckier tomorrow as I wouldn't mind a small holding to keep the interest alife in the Health sector.

cheers GERD