COVID-19

henrietta

Some 299 vaccine candidates are listed on the World Health Organisation's COVID19 vaccine tracker, with 114 in some phase of clinical development and the other 185 in earlier stages. Emerging technologies such as the use of messenger RNA, or mRNA, as a delivery system hold the potential to speed up the development of vaccines to combat other infectious diseases, as well as for personalised cancer treatments.

It all represents a lot of opportunity. and uncertainty, ahead of what feels like a coming vaccine revolution.

Not much opportunity for direct Aussie exposure. The dumbass States keep talking big but management by committee (or know nothings) will merely see tax dollars slip away. May as well get the dart board out.

The messenger RNA technology used in the Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines has the potential to fuel more gains at a wider swath of companies and advance research beyond COVID19. Some potential uses: vaccines for Zika, multiple respiratory viruses, melanoma, HIV, Epstein-Barr and malaria. There's also hope for a more effective flu vaccine, because current ones generally reduce the risk of illness by only 40 per cent to 60 per cent.

Investors may already have more exposure to the vaccine industry than they realise, in diluted form. In the US, Moderna was added to the S&P 500 Index in July, and Johnson & Johnson and Pfizer are among the top 25 stocks in the index. That means they are included in many index funds, ETFs and retirement investments. Other big diversified pharma names in the mix around the world include AstraZeneca, Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline.

Then there are the companies all along the supply chain, from makers of the ingredients in vaccines to diagnostics and testing companies to makers of rubber stoppers, syringes or specialty glass products, and PPE.

The ETFMG Treatments Testing and Advancements ETF ... with the ticker GERM ... is a possibility for those who want more exposure to the vaccine ecosystem. GERM has about 20 per cent in Moderna and BioNTech, and also holds a lot of smaller companies.

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/01/merck-to-se...-treatment.html

Profit share

Ridgeback received an upfront payment from Merck as part of the companies’ development of molnupiravir. The company is also eligible to receive contingent payments depending on developmental and regulatory approval milestones.

Profits arising from the collaboration will be split between Merck and Ridgeback equally.

================

finally , find hopeful treatment . but money, money money---as ABBA singing. :lol:

joke aside, it's good news or hopeful news at least!! :P

An experimental drug for severe Covid cuts the risk of hospitalisation or death by about half, interim clinical trial results suggest.

The tabletm, molnupiravir, was given twice a day to patients recently diagnosed with the disease.

US drug maker Merck said its results were so positive that outside monitors had asked to stop the trial early. It said it would apply for emergency use authorisation for the drug in the US in the next two weeks.

Dr Anthony Fauci, chief medical adviser to US President Joe Biden, said the results were "very good news", but urged caution until the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had reviewed the data.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58764440

The pill, which was originally developed to treat influenza, is designed to introduce errors into the genetic code of the virus, preventing it from spreading in the body......

Unlike most Covid vaccines, which target the spike protein on the outside of the virus, the treatment works by targeting an enzyme the virus uses to make copies of itself.

... a good story, for sure.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/au...pill/ar-AAP7eP5

Australian doctors may have a promising new tool in their fight against COVID-19 from early next year, a pill that's potentially the simplest and easiest treatment yet uncovered.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison today announced the government has agreed to buy 300,000 courses of the promising antiviral drug molnupiravir — if cleared by regulators — which would be the first pill shown to treat COVID-19.

====================

hope it works well, really really well!! :P

Numbers in NZ are going up and up and up. People are going about their daily affairs in a most normal way but being made to feel like criminals because of it. I drove across the harbour bridge this afternoon and in my opinion the traffic was heavy. Lane charges were not easy.

Yesterday I went to the supermarket and forgot to put my mask on. Everyone was looking at me strange but nobody came to me and asked me to put a mask on.

When you have a conversation with a stranger the topic quickly turns to Covid and the tenor is always the same: I don't really care about Covid. I don't really believe what I am being told. I will wear a mask because of what others may think if I don't or the to avoid the trouble I may have if I dont. I do enjoy the new liberty of choice in my work because it is a cost to the employer not me. I will get the vaccine because it just makes life easier for me than not.

Poor old Jacinda is banging on her drum but everyone seems to be anti in the most apathetic manner. Which means she has spent her political capital. Be kind is yesterday's mantra when the gangs have more away with their essential "social services " than a family member wishing to cross the border to attend a family members funeral or make a visit in their friends final days.

She has lost the high ground and has been shown to be in the pocket of the executive. Who in turn are beholden to the science as it is presented to them by Pfizer. She is now talking about a vaccine passport as there is in other parts of the world. Essentially it is a curtailment of civil liberties. And while the legislative and executive may think it's a good idea I have a feeling the judiciary might think otherwise.

We shall see.

Clive Palmer's claims of Gladys being on the take from Pfizer may prove to be on the money (pun intended) in the end. Just wait for the contagion effect as ithe investigation spreads to Victoria.

Do you think this is acceptable to go defaming people like this ?

Clive Palmer's claims of Gladys being on the take from Pfizer may prove to be on the money (pun intended) in the end. Just wait for the contagion effect as ithe investigation spreads to Victoria.

People need to be very careful what they post these days.

She has lost the high ground and has been shown to be in the pocket of the executive. Who in turn are beholden to the science as it is presented to them by Pfizer. She is now talking about a vaccine passport as there is in other parts of the world. Essentially it is a curtailment of civil liberties. And while the legislative and executive may think it's a good idea I have a feeling the judiciary might think otherwise.

Read judiciary as ICAC.