COVID-19

henrietta

In the most recent run of COVID cases in OZ, there has been one glaring event missing.

No one has dies from it for some time.

I think the last death was one back in late November.

perhaps the latest strains spread easier, but is not quite as virulent.

Or perhaps they are keeping it out of the homes of elderly residents a little better.

Mick

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EB

It is a different sort of anti inflammatory effect for atheroma (the plaques that clog the arteries). Plenty of potent psoriasis treatments now available - but different class of drugs and mechanism

The benefit comes from lowering the Cholesterol and an anti inflammatory effect - and that is why the benefit is beyond diet alone, or some of the other medications used,

and from a study supported by the British Heart Foundation - nonPharma

Statins anti inflammatory.

CONCLUSIONS

The anti-inflammatory effects of statins on vascular wall are now widely accepted. By inhibiting intracellular isoprenoids formation, statins suppress vascular and myocardial inflammation, favorably modulate vascular and myocardial redox state and improve nitric oxide bioavailability. Randomized clinical trials have demonstrated that further to their lipid lowering properties, statins also reduce cardiovascular risk by exerting anti-inflammatory effects. However, the extent to which the beneficial effects of statins on clinical outcome are lipid-lowering independent remains unclear. Early initiation of statin treatment in normolipidemic subjects without cardiovascular disease and elevated C-reactive protein levels has a significant favorable impact on cardiovascular risk. The neutral effect of rosuvastatin in heart failure and chronic kidney disease patients suggests that careful selection of the treated population should be made, to avoid unnecessary treatments. Further research is required in order to clarify the impact of statin treatment in these clinical conditions and to establish their role in other inflammatory diseases.

really appreciated myshares. try to get as much info as i can !! :P

i will take Mick's advice to see another Drc. hope she has patience litsen my "blah blah"

my IGE testing is from over 500 dropped to over 400, but the normal level suppose under 120 [0--120], so it's clear that my autoimmune system got the problem.

sorry about this unrelated to COVID19. if i have these things to ask, i will try to use PM box!

here is covid19 news

https://www.afr.com/policy/health-and-educa...20210105-p56rud

While current vaccines have been shown to be highly effective at preventing illness, the immune response they induce does not completely suppress virus growth.

"The limited virus replication is actually a good thing because it will result in a further boost to the immune response against the virus."

=============

i'm afraid that i will have allergic reaction to the vac. not many mention about treatment mads, to me that would be the problem solver!! imho though!!

from Todays OZ

It seems that US health care workers have some reservations about the COVID vaccines.

Healthcare workers reluctant to have the coronavirus vaccine may have added to delays in the nationwide effort to immunise Americans.

Those working on the front line of the battle against the virus are meant to be among the first to receive the jab.

Ohio Governor Mike DeWine said about 60 per cent of nursing home staff in his state had declined an initial dose of the vaccine when it was offered to them.

Similar concerns have been raised in California, where hospitals in several counties have reported staff declining the vaccine. At a health district in a northern county and in another county east of Los Angeles, about half of those offered a first dose refused it, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Reluctance among healthcare workers to take the vaccine has surprised US officials.

A nurse at a hospital in the city told the paper that she had refused the vaccine because she was pregnant. Though the Centres for Disease Control has said the vaccine is unlikely to pose a risk to pregnant women, April Lu, 31, said she was choosing between “the risk of having Covid, or the risk of the unknown of the vaccineâ€.

Ms Lu added that some of her colleagues calculated that they had managed for months without contracting the virus. “I feel people think, ‘I can still make it until this ends without getting the vaccine’,†she said.

About 15 million doses of the vaccine have been distributed and more than 4.5 million doses had been administered by the start of this week according to the CDC — far short of government aspirations to vaccinate 20 million people last month.

Hesitancy among healthcare workers has surprised officials, who presumed that the take-up would be higher among hospital workers than the general public.

The spread of misinformation about the vaccine allegedly drove a pharmacist in Wisconsin to try to spoil 500 doses by removing them from refrigeration over two successive nights. Steven Brandenburg, 46, who was arrested last week, told police he had been attempting to render the vaccine inert because he believed it could alter people’s DNA, a prosecutor said.

False claims to this effect have circulated about the Pfizer-Biontech vaccine, as well as the Moderna vaccine, apparently because they use a relatively new technique.

Anthony Fauci, the top US expert on infectious diseases, predicted that despite the sluggish start the country could soon be handing out at least a million Covid vaccinations a day,

Not sure how accurate the statement about false or mis information being spread has been the major cause for the reluctance of health workers to take up the vaccine.

I would have thought it be the opposite. if anyone knows about the false or misleading crap coming from social media, one would assume that health professionals would be the most literate.

perhaps they have good reasons.

Mick

I was thinking more about the nurse who refused..

I was being a little flippant about that.

But with the roll out of the vaccine in the UK the medical staff have shown no reservations ...

I have two members of my household who are a respectively a pharmacist working in community pharmacy, and one who is an Occupational therapist working in a regional hospital.

Both have said they will wait for as long as possible before getting the jab.

The pharmacist in particular is wary about the lack of long term phase three testing.

I am deferring to her judgement.

Mick

We are lucky in Australia...with the delay

if we look at the mRNA American vaccines...by the time they get here in March / April (if we are lucky) they will have an adequate number of people treated and follow up to be more confident about safety.

When they were released at the end of Phase III - maybe ? 60,000 people had been treated... then by March - presumably 50+ million. That is enough follow up to know of short - medium term risks. The issue on long term risks is a bit unknown but that is where risk benefit starts to come into play.

Post marketing surveillance is the Phase IV trial monitoring...

Vaccination will come down to risk- benefit analysis on an individual basis. If you are older, medically unwell in any way that might make you vulnerable to infection then you should be vaccinated.

Then it gets more difficult - what if you could be a vector to your elderly parents...or medically vulnerable family.

If you want to be scared.. and I am pro vaccination...and acknowledge that these are a new methodology of vaccine preparation...

Historical Vaccine safety Concerns and Issues

Yeah, risk benefit analysis.

Living in regional Victoria, where the cases have been very much lower, we don't feel terribly vulnerable.

The Pharmacist is very much a pro vaxer, but experience in Africa, Asia and pacific countries has given her a bit of a jolt about what can go wrong when things are done in haste.

Perhaps if case numbers start to rocket here, she would reconsider.

Mick