Australia

joules mm1

Mum injured while shielding her baby after hail broke her car windows

"Australian news 3 hours ago Fiona Simpsons was driving in Kingaroy with her child and her grandmother when a tornado struck the area on Thursday. Hail pelted down, smashing her car windows, forcing her to use her body to shield her child, leaving her back and arms severely bruised. "

Legend !

https://twitter.com/i/moments/1050554996549246976

• 3 weeks later...

post-238560-1541464362.png

link : https://twitter.com/i/moments/1059553550840123393

today is raceday in Melbourne, a wash-out

but..not this:

Runaway train deliberately derailed

in WA after traveling 95km unmanned Australian news 2 hours ago BHP has suspended all Australian freight trains after a locomotive with 268 wagons travelled 92km across the Pilbara unmanned and at great speed. It's understood the driver alighted to check on a wagon and the train began to roll away.

John McRae @McrazyR ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚· 15h15 hours ago Replying to @JohnNicholls6PR Well at least the track must have been in excellent condition because it would have self- derailed otherwise. That IS a true runaway train 40,000 tonnes x 220 km/hr is a lot of energy. The pile-up at the derail would be horrendous. Waiting for photos.

I saw a story (on SBS I think) about the train trip from Adelaide to Darwin and basically how the drivers had bugger all to do for much of the time. In fact their main job was to keep pressure on one of the pedals - as soon as there was no pressure on the pedal the train automatically stopped. The idea is if the driver became incapacitated in any way there would not be a runaway train. I find it astounding that these BHP trains, presumably each with only one driver, would not have a similar feature. Madness. Unacceptable.

A dead man's switch is a switch that is designed to be activated if the human operator becomes incapacitated, such as through death, loss of consciousness, or being bodily removed from control. Originally applied to switches on a vehicle or machine, it has since come to be used to describe other intangible uses like in computer software.

These switches are usually used as a form of fail-safe where they stop a machine with no operator from potentially dangerous action or incapacitate a device as a result of accident, malfunction, or misuse. They are common in such applications in locomotives,......

Wikipedia

Apropos the thread title, Barry Humphries used to refer to ChloÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâ€Â ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚© being painted "before the discovery of Tasmania". Look it up and you'll understand.

ChloÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâ€Â ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚© is a 260 by 139 cm oil canvas painting of a young Parisian girl by French figure painter Jules Joseph Lefebvre, made in 1875. The painting is located in the upstairs bar of the Young and Jackson Hotel in Melbourne, Australia, where it has been since 1909.