WES - WESFARMERS LIMITED

ShareCafe

From the 'Eureka Report' (I hope they'll forgive me...)

The Wesfarmers issue, available to existing holders on a three-for-seven basis, is set at $13.50 and stock is trading at $16 (closing yesterday at $16.02).

At the very least, an investor can sell each share for $2.50 more than the price they are entitled to in the offer. On that basis itÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s an offer you canÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢t refuse.

Moreover, itÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s worth noting that even with the 17% discount for the retail rights issue, the stock managed to return from suspension barely changed in price.

Wesfarmers is not the glamour stock it once was, but it is one of the very few stocks that has received an upgrade recently, from underperform to neutral, from the well-known Wesfarmers bear David Errington at Merrill Lynch.

As Errington and any retail investor can now appreciate, Wesfarmers, after a successful $4 billion-plus capital raising ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬Ãƒâ€Â¦ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“ where institutions were vigorously pushing up the bookbuild price ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬Ãƒâ€Â¦ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“ is financially stronger now than its highly geared former self trying to digest Coles in 2008.

Will the Wesfarmers rights issue at $13.50 be worthwhile? Within these pages just a few months ago value investor Roger Montgomery ran the numbers on the stock and said it was worth $23. That was when it was still trading at $30!

Ironically, brokers to the deal expect a retail ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“take upÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ of only 20% against 60% for the ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“ColesÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ rights issue back at $29; at least this time those that send a cheque are getting a decent discount.

Discounts work. Wesfarmers has pulled off a crucial capital raising and its retail shareholders stand to make a profit if they wish. I expect Wesfarmers will set a trend for many more issues across the market in the weeks ahead.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

andrew001

"I expect Wesfarmers will set a trend for many more issues across the market in the weeks ahead"

more issues = more broker commissions and so on

we will see I guess - I'm no guru but at least I admit that - unlike the spruikers for the brokers

DB76

"AJ007 - the DIY crowd you see in bunnings dont buy as much as the trades do or did"

I don't know what you are on about here as:

[1] Bunnings have never had a strong % of trades market so presumably as that market is squeezed Bunnings will be relatively unscathed

[2] Bunnings revenue growth in the last period from memory was around 7%

So what are you on about? Never let the facts get in the way of espousing your sentiments eh?

A lot of WES performance was due to the rocketing price of coal, now its coming back to earth so is the price. Also with Coles, it has to get around all the supply problems work out how not to get ripped off by the suppliers.

idyll

I stand corrected by you

the "facts" I can find are from an open briefing 30/11/07 - out of date but all I could find - 80% retail , 20% trade

as they have been trying to increase Trade sales the split may have changed since

corporatefile.com.au

YouÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢re continuing to roll out more warehouse stores and now more trade distribution centres. How do the retail and trade sites work together in the trade sector? What is the trade and retail revenue split per store? Are trade sales lower margin?

John Gillam

The trade distribution centres are focussed on servicing delivered-to-site business ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬Ãƒâ€Â¦ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“ this involves heavy, bulky items and volumes. Our store network plays an important part in servicing the pick-up and consumable needs of tradies and subcontractors.In our warehouse stores, a rough guide is that around 10% of revenue is trade and 90% is retail. And as weÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ve discussed before, we estimate that 80% of our trading revenue is retail and 20% is trade. Within the 20% that is trade, around two thirds of this is generated through our store network and one third is from the trade DCÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s and frames and trusses. We are actively looking to grow all parts of our trade business and the changes weÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ve made in establishing the trade DCs have us well positioned.

IÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ve noted before that trade sales generate lower EBIT margin, but in any housing market upswing EBIT margins may well improve.

Unquote

Maybe if you actually read my post better before you started criticising, no where in my post does it say that Bunnings has or had a strong % of the trade market. What I was saying is that as people do more DIY in down times (rather than have a tradesperson come in and do the job, noting that tradespeople most often purchase from other suppliers) the people performing the DIY go to places like Bunnings, Mitre 10, etc and buy the materials as well as equipment to do the job.

I also stated that Bunnings could remain relatively strong. I didnÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢t make any outlandish statements of potential returns from Bunnings, it is my simple belief that if the overall business environment becomes much tougher, there are some companies that will outperform others, in fact a statement such as outperform doesnÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢t even mean that business will increase, it just means that other sectors could potentially do worse. For example the expectation in down times is that clothing retailers will suffer much more than supermarkets, the building industry (especially commercial & industrial property) will suffer more than say debt collectors.

AJ007

I made the assertion that bunnings do more trade than retail - which was wrong - and corrected below

the poster "Idyll128" - picked up my error

I agree that picking those companies that will do well comparatively in the bad times is the key

WES was the conglomerate model , but now it is mostly the old Coles Group

Technically I still think best case scenario WES could bottom at $11-12, but it could be lower and I'm more inclined to wait a while and see if goes down to older support levels lower. Time will tell but I think at this stage I'm in no rush to get into WES..

post-2242-1233284022.gif

I am afraid you are right - $10 easily possible

WOW seems to be attacking them on all fronts now

a falling camel attracts many knives - the knives are flashing

and Coal income is about to dive

WOW_Competition

maybe good for WES - focus Goyder a bit more - he always seems to brush off any criticism

they seem to be managing WES as though the Coles acquisition didnt happen - rigid commitment to their "Old" WES Management Model which they believe can be maintained

WES share price holding up more than I expected

with HY results due 16/2/09 the market must be thinking that a good part of Kevin's Xmas money has been spent with WES

retail offer at $13.50 closes 23/2/09

retail shares issued 3/3/09