VANADIUM

blacksheep

RoskillÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s Jack Bedder Breaks Down the Vanadium Price Rally

Prices have gained since mid-July on tightening supply in major producer China.

extract

Over the past three weeks, European spot ferrovanadium prices have jumped from about $28 per kilogram to $43, Jack Bedder of Roskill Information Services said via phone.

]Meanwhile, vanadium pentoxide prices have risen from $5.75 per pound to $9.50 since mid-July.

ThatÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“probably the most exciting thing thatÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s happened to the vanadium price in some years,ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ he noted. Bedder, a commodities analyst at the firm, explained that tightness in the availability of Chinese feedstock helped raise domestic ferrovanadium prices to between $60 and $65; in turn, that helped boost prices in Europe and the US.

Continuing supply tightness

South Africa was the second-largest vanadium producer in the world until 2014. Evraz HighveldÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s iron- and vanadium-producing Mapochs mine closed in 2015. Currently, Glencore (LON:GLEN) produces vanadium as a by-product and Largo Resources (TSX:LGO) is focused on vanadium extraction from its Maracas Menchen Mine in Brazil.

Bushveld Minerals (LSze:BMN) is moving forward on its Mokopane Vanadium mining project and plans to build a vanadium electrolyte plant in South Africa, which would receive ore from its Vametco vanadium producing mine.

Other firms with exploration stage projects or that are involved in processing vanadium include:

Australian Vanadium (ASX:AVL) owns the exploration-stage Gabanintha vanadium project in Western Australia. The company said it has agreed to sell the rights for base metals at the project to Bryah Resources, but retains the rights to battery metals.

Energy Fuels (TSX:EFR,NYSEMKT:UUUU) is primarily focused on uranium, but processes vanadium at its White Mesa Mill in the US.

Intermin Resources (ASX:IRC) is primarily focused on gold, but does have one vanadium-molybdenum exploration-stage project in Queensland, Australia.

Syrah ResourcesÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ (ASX:SYR) main asset is the Mozambique-based Balama project. It primarily includes graphite, but also has vanadium potential.

TNG (ASX:TNG) is developing its Mount Peake vanadium-titanium-iron project in AustraliaÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s Northern Territory.

Vanadium One Energy (TSXV:VONE) has begun drilling at its Mont Sorcier vanadium-iron-titanium project in Quebec.

VanadiumCorp Resource (TSXV:VRB) has an early stage project known as Lac Dore, and the company believes it can become a big-time North American supplier and major player in the vanadium industry.

Bedder on battery demand

Bedder said Vanadium Redox Batteries are another an emerging application for vanadium, and commented, ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“we envisage that over the next 10 years the battery market could represent maybe 7,000 tonnes of vanadium, but the upside is probably as high as 30,000 tonnes.

He added, ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“energy storage obviously is going to be a big thing, and itÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s about which technologies we enact. I donÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢t think thereÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s going to be one winner. Vanadium redox [batteries] will probably have a share. Lithium-ion will as well.ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ÂÂ

http://investingnews.com/daily/resource-in...um-price-rally/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Written by Gavin Wendt - Vanadium ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬Ãƒâ€Â¦ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“ Another Important Battery Option - not sure if he has a vested interest in the 3 ASX listed companies mentioned, so care should be taken

extract

Equity Opportunities

There are three junior opportunities available to ASX investors that I believe are currently

worth following ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬Ãƒâ€Â¦ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“ comprising TNG Limited (ASX: TNG), Australian Vanadium (ASX: AVL)

and King River Copper (ASX: KRC) - in descending order of market capitalisation.

The three companies are quite distinct in terms of their respective levels of project

advancement. TNG is the most advanced having completed a Definitive Feasibility Study

(DFS) on its large Mt Peake vanadium deposit in the NT; AVL is in the process of enhancing

the resource base at its Gabanintha deposit in WA, whilst KRC is looking at a Scoping Study

on its Speewah project in WA.

http://www.weare121.com/wp-content/uploads...tion.pdf?x71888

Vanadium: Mapochs mine up for sale

Posted by Dimpal on September 7, 2017

Roskill view: The Mapochs mine in South Africa will be auctioned on September 14th in a move that could have significant consequences for the vanadium market

The mine was previously operated by Evraz Highveld, a major producer of vanadium feedstock until 2015. In Q2 that year, Evraz Highveld announced it had filed for a voluntary business rescue and the operation subsequently closed in Q3. The company attributed the closure to historical operational difficulties and sustained financial losses within a capital constrained operating environment.

The Mapochs mine is an open-pit mine near Roossemekal, 180km east-northeast of Pretoria in Mpumalanga province. The mine exploited seams of titanomagnetite to produce approximately 2Mtpy of lump and fines ore. Total production at the mine was estimated at 11.0kt contained vanadium in 2014, more than 10% of global feedstock output. As such, a restart at Mapochs would have a fundamental impact on global vanadium supply.

It is unclear how, if the mine restarted, vanadium units would make their way to market. That will depend on the successful bidder. Under its former operator, the mine formed part of a vertically integrated steel and vanadium slag production unit. Evraz HighveldÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s operations comprised steelworks at Emalahleni (Witbank) as well as the Mapochs mine. Lump ore was processed in the Witbank steel plant and ore fines were processed in the Vanchem vanadium plant as a blend with vanadiferous slag from Highveld steelworks. Steel production resulted in the production of a vanadium-rich slag which was as principally supplied to Vanchem in South Africa, owned by Duferco, and Hochvanadium in Austria, operated as a joint venture between Evraz Highveld and Treibacher. Vanchem was a minority owner of Mapochs (35%), and blended Highveld slag with ore fines. Hochvanadium supplied vanadium slag to Treibacher (also in Austria) for further processing.

At this stage, it is not clear who might bid for the asset. It has been reported that Hong Kong-based International Resources (IRL) may bid for the mine again. A 2015/16 bid from IRL to purchase the asset was unsuccessful. Likely additional suitors might include other domestic vanadium players such as Glencore and Bushveld Minerals or perhaps vanadium consumers looking to guarantee feedstock. Vanadium prices have risen considerably in recent months owing in part to vanadium feedstock tightness in China which could mean that Asian entities other than IRL look to acquire the mine.

https://roskill.com/news/vanadium-mapochs-mine-sale/

• 4 weeks later...

see link for infographic

Vanadium: the energy storage metal

Visual Capitalist | about 8 hours ago

The world is moving to a renewable energy economy.

Solar use is growing at exponential rates, and countries like the U.K., France, and India are planning to ban gas-powered vehicles in the coming years. Even the worldÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s largest auto market in China is under duress from mounting pollution, and the country has ambitious plans to build up world-class renewable capacity while ditching gas-powered vehicles.

THE ENERGY STORAGE QUESTION

As the world shifts to renewables, one question remains up in the air: how will we store all this energy?

TodayÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s infographic comes to us from VanadiumCorp and it highlights vanadium redox flow batteries (VRFBs) ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬Ãƒâ€Â¦ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“ which are a breakthrough that some experts say may be the future of grid-scale energy storage.

http://www.mining.com/web/vanadium-energy-storage-metal/

• 3 weeks later...

Vanadium emerges from the shadows

October 26, 2017

Is vanadium set to be the next star of the booming global battery market?

The metal, traditionally used as a material to strengthen steel, has made a comeback in the past two years as demand has re-emerged.

Prices for the metal have soared since July, continuing a rapid rise that started in early 2016.

China has again been the major driver of this price surge, with its iron and steel institute proposing to increase the amount of vanadium required in construction steel, boosting demand and consumption of the metal, as well as its value.

Prices for vanadium were almost twice the value they started the year by September. This increase followed vanadium also doubling in value during 2016, ending a multi-year decline where the metal almost fell into obscurity.

Currently, about 90 per cent of the worldÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s vanadium is used in the steel industry. It is, however, the metalÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s use in energy storage batteries that has sparked a wave of activity at early-stage vanadium projects, both in Australia and internationally.

Batteries to power vanadium?

Read more https://www.australianmining.com.au/feature...merges-shadows/

And that's why the vanadium stocks are not surging in the same manner as LIB. I had a look at the stock mentioned - AVL - it's currently sitting on 1.7c. Simon Hackett backed RFX on 8.2c

But everyone is getting on the bandwagon hoping to ignite some "battery" interest in their stock or commodity.

Switching From Lithium-Ion Could Be Harder Than You Think - https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/rea...hink#gs.Jq_yb2k

post-330173-1509015070_thumb.png

post-330173-1509015003_thumb.png

Robert Friedland,backed company ....... Pu Neng Wins Contract for the Largest Vanadium Flow Battery in China as the China National Development and Reform Commission Initiates a Major Push for Energy Storage in Support of Renewable Energy

This type of project is a glimpse of the future of the Chinese electricity grid as the country is halting construction of many coal-fired power plants and pushing the integration of renewable energy with energy storage. On September 22, 2017, the China National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) released Document 1701, "Guidance on the Promotion of Energy Storage Technology and Industry Development" aimed at accelerating the deployment of energy storage. The policy calls for the launch of pilot projects, including deployment of multiple 100MW-scale vanadium flow batteries, by the end of 2020, with the aim of large-scale deployment over the ensuing five years.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017...Support-of.html

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...