Aged Care Services

scotchnice

remembering âââہ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’‚ wall street" ??

GREED---lack of better words--is good! :lol:

joke aside. there is balance between provide basic care and save unnecessary cost for those homes.

that is most of share holders wish for the manege team to do the job. i guess reality is another story, that is why we RC moved into this sector

but with egging population growing explosively , i see the demands . to be ownest with you Asian or not , no one likes live with the odies but a lot of people do respect and love them.

a good quality age care home might be able to solve issue. if some can afford it. i guess a lot of oldies do have property that worth good mount of $$$.....

that is why i jumped into this sectors. but the virus thingy.................. i can only give my self a bitter laugh.... ;)

when i did study on both of them i do see they owns a lot of land. esp JHC . at my calculation it sell all land at current price they can pay off their debt and return big mount of cash to share holders

that is why i kinda think that market seems blind to see these valuation at current chaos..............

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fundie holding EGH has a view that independent living is coping OK, even if the shareprice hasn't picked up since Covid-19 impact hit

âââہ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’‚¢ EGH have seen no changes in occupancy levels to date.

âââہ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’‚¢ Systems and processes have been put in place to minimise risk across all EGH villages.

âââہ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’‚¢ Total asset value is $0.34 per share with net debt of circa 40% as at 31 December 2019.

âââہ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’‚¢ >90% of cash flows are through contracted rental accommodation agreements.

Got to 40c but now hovering around 28c, with little rebound

• 4 months later...

it would be fair to say Aged Care is a sector worth staying out of, as an individual choice (definitely) and probably as an investment.

... Such is the scale of death and infection in the nation's aged care homes, industry players and advocates for older Australians say the pandemic must be the spark for meaningful reform of the sector... worth the equivalent of 1.1 per cent of GDP.Nearly 300 residents have died so far, mostly in Victoria, and already acute workforce shortages are compounded by more than 1000 infections among staff. Divided accountability between state and federal governments and a sector splintered among private, public and non-profit operators is struggling to cope.
and then some.
The [Corona]virus is a symptom. The overall state of the sector is a longterm chronic disease.

That's the assessment of Terry Barnes, a wellknown consultant and author of the Howard government aged care policy for the 1996 election victory.

It is not any one government's fault. The way I see it, in terms of the politics and the policy, aged care politically has been the Cinderella of the health care system, forever. It does not matter who is in government federally, the squeaky wheels are public hospitals and Medicare. The squeakers of the wheels are powerful lobbies like the Australian Medical Association and the Pharmacy Guild, he says.

He says efforts to reform a system that cares for about 1.3 million people and costs the federal government $20 billion a year usually fail because of the complexity and the fact most voters have other priorities. Aged care lobby groups don't have the pull of their competitors.

Nursing homes are things most people don't want to know about until they absolutely have to, Barnes says. For him, it's a matter of a national culture increasingly subcontracting care for the elderly to the state. A set and forget mindset.

The sector has an historically low paid workforce and faces persistent calls for higher qualifications and staff-to-resident ratios. As of 2019, about 240,000 people live in permanent care around the country, with another 65,000 receiving respite care. More than 106,700 people are cared for through inhome support services, a growing part of the aged care puzzle.

and the players:::::

Non-profit organisations manage almost about 60 per cent of residential aged care services in Australia, followed by private at about 30 per cent and government organisations at about 10 per cent.

The biggest players, including BUPA, Opal, Regis, Estia, and Japara dominate the sector, with the trend to larger facilities for economies of scale. Federal government spending is expected to pass $23.6 billion by financial year 2022, while about a quarter of costs are covered by customers.

One industry analyst says aged care isn't a good way to make money, with more than half of centres not profitable, including those run by churches and charities and not seeking to make money. About 80 per cent of providers revenue comes from the government, with a shrinking pool available, despite a growing cost base. Nursing costs, compliance costs, personal protective equipment costs are all rising but earnings are contracting.

However, a report by the Centre for International Corporate Tax Accountability this month found big operators claiming hardship are also generating large cash surpluses. It said four out of five of the largest non-profit residential aged care operators claimed losses last year while producing at least $26 million in net cash flow.....

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/austra...20200820-p55npv

We have a cleaner from one of the care services. He also works in an aged care facility and nearly every week he regales us with horrific stories and urges us "don't go there".

I intend to die with my chainsaw in my hand riding my mower into the sunset.