SPORT

henrietta

Former women's world number one Angelique Kerber says she may have thought twice about coming to Melbourne for the Australian Open had she known there was the possibility of spending two weeks in hard quarantine.

Kerber, the 23rd seed, said she might have changed her mind about competing at the Australian Open if she knew players would be forced into a hard lockdown if required.

So unfair. (ish) (not)

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hubbard fails to make a fair lift -----out of competition.

Can't say I'm heartbroken.

Journalists covering transgender athlete Laurel Hubbard’s participation in the women’s +87 kilogram weightlifting competition have been given a 20-page set of guidelines on how they should report on transgender athletes.

The guidelines were distributed by the International Weightlifting Federation and prepared by three LGBT activist groups – GLAAD, Athlete Ally and Pride House Tokyo, and come amid controversy of Hubbard’s inclusion in the women’s event.

In my simplistic world, if you have nuts you're a bloke.

Cheers

J

Reading how ecstatic the Aussie lady was ( in the 10km swim) to win the bronze medal, has reminded me how much pleasure there is in seeing sports people absolutely thrilled with a PB or a medal of any sort.

It's such a pity that from some quarters there is criticism of less than perfect performance. To perform at the Olympic games must be just so, so hard to do.

I take my hat off to all the competitors, and bow down to the mighty medal winners. There's just so much pressure and expectation ........ I just don't know how they manage it all.

Well done, all athletes.

Cheers

j

• 1 month later...
Raducanu, born to a Chinese mother and a Romanian father, had to go through three rounds of qualifying to even make the main draw for what is only her second grand slam appearance.

The 18-year-old had become the first qualifier in either men's or women's tennis to reach a grand slam final -- and now, she has become the first qualifier to win one.

Hopefully we'll now see more of these young players and a bit less of the Williams sisters. It's been such a long tiring time.

Aren't the Poms doing well in many sports these days ?

Cheers

J

"Aren't the Poms doing well in many sports these days?"

Yeah, aren't they glad they've been an attractive destination for people with all sorts of names, ethnicities and backgrounds. Then they go and shut up shop and vote Brexit. Oz is next the way we're going.

• 5 months later...

Serena Williams:  "I should have been at like 30 or 32 "  grand slam singles titles

The GOAT according to Americans, as humble as ever ....... but still behind Margaret .......... and it obviously eats her up.

Cheers

J

• 2 months later...

How NOT to celebrate a cycling win.

Biniam Girmay has been forced to abandon the Giro d'Italia one day after making history as the first black African winner of a Grand Tour stage.

Eritrean Girmay won stage 10 on Tuesday but went to hospital after popping a prosecco cork into his left eye while celebrating on the podium.

Despite later returning to enjoy the victory with his team-mates, he was unfit to make the start on Wednesday.

Cheers

J

• 2 weeks later...

Jai Hindley became the first Australian to win the Giro d'Italia as the 26 year old eased home on the final stage time trial.

Hindley, who had lost the 2020 race on the final day time trial, had snatched the pink jersey and an 85 second lead from Richard Carapaz on Saturday. The Ecuadorian went out hard but could not strike back on the individual race against the clock in Verona.

It is  a beautiful feeling. A lot of emotions out there, Hindley said.

I had in the back of my mind what happened in 2020 and I wasn't going to let that happen again, to be honest. To take the win is really incredible. I was getting updates and I felt pretty good on the bike. I did not feel like I was fighting it and I knew it was a decent ride.

• 3 weeks later...

Australia’s dancing substitute goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne saved the last penalty to clinch a place at the soccer World Cup in Qatar to be played later this year, as they edged Peru 5-4 in a shootout following a nil all draw after extra time in an intercontinental playoff on Monday.