Dow Jones

Tejay

Some of that data is very suspect, IMHO. How the heck can you measure something like "Consumer sentiment" or "Consumer confidence" objectively?

Of course they can infer results from various market data, but surely they jest? Those figures must be very rubbery at best. Who does the "surveys' and where are they done? I've never yet had anyone ask me what my confidence level is, nor anyone I know. And I'm a great consumer! ;)

Hard data I can understand, such as sales figures, export numbers, etc. But "sentiment" or "confidence"??? Give me a break!

Methinks economists are once again inventing numbers, giving them a title, and putting them out there as actually having some meaning :devilsmiley:

But the market will respond to those numbers as though they were actually significant.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have done the same and am just about all cash now except for a couple of illiquid specs. Most of the risks seem to be towards the downside again now. Will be looking out for opportunities to short the USRUS2000/finance/banking sectors. Suspect that when they pull apart the GDP number on Thursday it will look terrible (minus government spending).

post-9903-1256600017.png

as i mentioned earlier, since Mid March we've had a couple of pullbacks.

twice we've seen the 5 day m.a just dip below 20 day m.a then followed by a rebound.

i wonder if the same will happen this time.

with 1 hour left to trade the Dow is flying.

as i said yeterday when the 5 day m.a gets near the 20 day m.a the Dow jumps.

post-8343-1256842665.png

They could have at least closed at 200 points even.........................

Stocks rallied Thursday, rebounding off of the prior session's rout, after reports showed the economy grew more than expected last quarter and jobless claims fell.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 199.89, or 2.1 percent, to close at 9,962.58ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ÂÂits best day since July. Though, the index is still about 40 points from the 10,000 mark. The Nasdaq advanced 1.8 percent and the S&P 500 jumped 2.3 percent.

mmmmm, makes you wonder????????????

PM Report: Is This Rally for Real?

Oct. 29, 2009Despite a nearly 200-point gain for the Dow, MarketWatch's Dave Callaway tells The News Hub the economy isn't that strong and that the market was looking for good news to generate a relief rally. Plus, Black Friday starts tomorrow.

http://www.marketwatch.com/video/asset/pm-...6E-35965A37A4F2