MUSIC - What CLASSICAL music are we listening to?

Commander C

last night I attended a performance of Matthew Hindson's 'Schubert-inspired' The Rave and the Nightingale. Performed by the Goldner String Quartet, with CSO, in the acoustically excellent Llewellan Hall in Canberra

ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ as they say, a work of enormous energy and popular appeal. 'Twas superb.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some "sophisticates" may think the harmonica is a a bit below them, all I can say is do yourself a favour.

For those of you who do not know, the theme song from the Lone Ranger comes from the William Tell Overture. It took the Lone Ranger theme song to bring them to their feet.

Click below !!

A harmonica in Carnegie Hall. [VIDE

JoaquÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâ€Â ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚­n Rodrigo's moving Concierto de Aranjuez.

There are a number of versions on youtube. I have chosen one by Kaori Muraji - 村治佳織

and another by JoaquÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâ€Â ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚­n Rodrigo

JoaquÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâ€Â ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚­n Rodrigo lost his sight at the age of three after contracting diptheria and wrote his compositions in braille.

JoaquÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâ€Â ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚­n Rodrigo's moving Concierto de Aranjuez.

Yes geoq, that is brilliant. Haven't listened to it for ages, got it somewhere, but funny thing is as soon as you mentioned it

the opening bars came into my mind. Stirring is what I'd call it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the best selling classical music recordings of all time and certainly the most successful recording of a new composition in the history of the classical record business - Henryk GÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâ€Â ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚³recki - Symphony NÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚º3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVITZUQ_uIU

A solo soprano sings a different Polish text in each of the three movements. The first is a 15th-century Polish lament of Mary, mother of Jesus, the second a message written by a 18 year old girl on the wall of a gestapo prison during World War II, and the third a Silesian folk song of a mother searching for her son killed in the Silesian uprising. The first and third movements are written from the perspective of a parent who has lost a child, and the second movement from that of a child separated from a parent.

• 1 month later...