VERY LOUD TV COMMERCIALS

moosey

Does anybody else here have an aversion to TV commercials that are much louder than the normal programming? I have complained to the TV advertising complaints board, but they do absolutely nothing.

But as far as the commercials go ,they are counter productive as far as I am concerned, as I have made a promise to myself never to buy from these people on principle ever, they do these types of adds all the time, and yes that is what the mute button is for I guess, but sometimes I'm not quick enough, I noticed one company that shall remain nameless that is a very regular offender with it's normal adds were advertising bedding, I was gobsmacked to see just how low the volume was compared to any of it's other material, they can do it when they want to!

Don't get me started on this oneÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚  :angry: Actually anything I might say about it will immediately get moderated for use of overly strong language, so I'll refrain.

Some time ago one of the current affair programs had a segment on loud TV commercials. It was explained that the audio in these commercials only appears to be loud because they use a bit of trickery in eliminating or subdueing all background sound except that which is necessary to convey the message. The viewer's mind apparently does the rest by interpreting what and how that message is received not only visually but aurally.

Believe it or not.

YES I RECALL THAT PROGRAM HEALYN....OH DEAR AM I A LITTLE TOO LOUD??

That was something else I recall from the program was that the sound of commercials is at one level, no light and shade just at one level through out, which made it seem louder.

They measured the sound level of the programs and commercials and same Db rating.

Although like everyone else here they annoy the crap out of me and I could swear they are much much louder.

Cheers

Either way Healyn/BSA I am voting with my feet, I have made a point of not buying from those companies who persist with this crap! I wonder if others are thinking along a similar vein? hit them where it hurts!

Like I said the main offender can produce a commercial at a suitable level when it wants to i.e. the bedding commercial, hardly normal!

I was thinking that to get around the permissible Db level that can be sent to air legally, I was thinking what they had done was lower the normal program level to a point where you increase your own volume on your TV to a suitable level, but when the commercial came on it was much louder with relation to that?

Yep, saw that program too. And don't believe a word of it. This is the industry tellling us "we don't care what you say, you're wrong and you cannot trust your own perceptions." I don't care what they say or what technical trickery they use to achieve it, the volume of commercials is more intrusive than other programming. A lot more. Anyway, in the end they are actually doing me a favour because I reach for the mute or off-buttons more often, and then leave it off.

Moosey,

Are you watching a HD (High-definition), SD (Standard-definition) or Analog channel ?

Do you have SS (surround sound) ?

In short the issue is SS verse plain stereo and the switching between the two.

Most HD/SD shows are broadcast in SS. Most Australian commerical are broadcast in stereo. You can get the same issue when you flick from TEN HD (now called "One") to ABC 1 or SBS 1.... as 9-10 times you are flicking from SS to stereo sound.

To "hear" SS audio better on TV's that only have two speakers people turn the volume up..... bang comes a stereo AD and yes it's louder then the show.

If you have SS setup (or you have a TV that "auto adjusts" volume) you won't notice the issue.

Cheers

Matt

Are you watching a HD (High-definition), SD (Standard-definition) or Analog channel ?

Just an Analog TV with stereo Matt, but I do what Healyn does on my DVD recorder, and yes it works wonders, I do have 5.1 surround sound but only on my DVD player!