Million Dollar Traders

mminion

"Eight ordinary people are given a million dollars, a fortnight of intensive training and two months to run their own hedge fund. Can they make a killing?

Watch this video online at SBS: http://player.sbs.com.au/programs#/program...ar-Traders-Ep1/

Anyone else watch it last night? (the link above will start last nights show) At one point I was screaming at the screen, "Just buy something"

Cheers

Matt

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I did watch the show.

Loved the 65 year old who put in a phone order to buy 800 shares and 10 seconds later says...." Oh did I say buy... I meant sell 800"

He made a nice little loss for the group in his 10 second brain explosion...

Loved the 65 year old who put in a phone order to buy 800 shares and 10 seconds later says...." Oh did I say buy... I meant sell 800"

He made a nice little loss for the group in his 10 second brain explosion...

Started to think he was averaging down when I heard "Buy 800"... poor fellow.

Cheers

Matt

Yup - very interesting and very instructive.

Many people are afraid to pull that trigger and just get in there and actually TRADE. Maybe I was stupid, but I was never trigger-shy. I learnt as much as I could first, especially by reading classics like Weinstein and Elder, then I just got stuck into it. And I've done VERY nicely thank you :)

Great program, and looking forward to the next episodes.

I would think - and hope - that the general level of knowledge and skills here on SS and other trading forums is MUCH higher than those demonstrated in the show.

Yes I enjoyed it myself, missed the first episode but last night reminded me how I was initially, but you have to get past that thought am i making a mistake, as long as you have done your research and you have a plan, you have to go for it.

focus

Thank you for the link.

I to was sitting at the edge, actually willing the girl on. The element of adrenilen from them all, vibrant.

Well done to SBS.

This could almost start a trading trend boom as millions of others may well be caught up in instant trading, particularly as this and the other segments will intrigue others then realise how the system works, and the money traded.

More exciting than poker machines, and trading may present the mental challange that many are searching for..now with modern comms, I can set up my own, without much effort. Cuts out bothersome execs with big bonus demands........

Praire, near Hughenden, perfect spot. Dont even need multistorey.

Now for part two :weirdsmiley:

Webb

Riveting stuff, thanks for the link, wont miss the next one--- some observations.

1. Surely it was totally unrealistic to put a group of novices in what ammounts to a day trading situation.

2. Nobody had a trading plan to start with

3. Having done this myself as a complete novice--just to see if I liked the environment as a start-- have you

any idea how difficult it is to sit in a room with other traders? Even the highly expereinced market operators

find it stessfull on a trading desk, much much easier in an individual cubicle, better still in your own office.

Needless to say I didnt become a broker.

4. Trading with someone elses money is probably more difficult than using your own

General observation: The absolute imperatives of grasping the daily outside influences on any market!

Flower...exactly what I thought. Do they expect eight inexperienced novices to make money in the middle of a global financial

crisis, although they have the means to short stocks. Geez make it hard for them...they may have had a chance to make money

in a bull market.

An impossibility--but nevertheless excellent TV. Be very intersting to see who makes the grade.

The MD and his sidekick are very accurately portrayed IMHO.

Lets make no mistake though--trading as a hedge fund team member is a very different proposition

from being a full charge adviser/broker and those two worlds away from what we do as home traders.