PEB - PACIFIC EDGE LIMITED

ShareCafe

PEB has announced completion of a $5.2m raising - most of which had previously been allotted and announced at 13.7cps (plus a small amount to existing holders at 12.9cps). This is said to be sufficient cash to see the company through until launch of their first product, with first revenues "reasonably expected" to closely follow the completion of the bladder cancer trial in 12 months time. The company is also completing a trial for the colorectal cancer diagnostic and has several other products under development.

While I'm not an enthusiast about biotech stocks, the $10-$12m market cap for PEB does seem quite low in comparison with the potential for their diagnostics. I hold a small quantity for interest, though am expecting it to be a fairly slow wait, as these things generally tend to drag out much longer to first revenues than is indicated.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, also of interest in this regard is the progress of Matritech who were the major US producer of the Bladderchek test. Matritech was expecting FY07 revenues of around $US15m, coming largely from this business. However, the company continued to report quarterly losses and the assets were recently sold to Inverness Medical Innovations for $US36m. Matritech has since filed for dissolution. The sale and dissolution was expected to realise $US10 - $US12m for shareholders.

Perhaps not terribly encouraging for my small investment in PEB. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
the $10-$12m market cap for PEB does seem quite low in comparison with the potential for their diagnostics. I hold a small quantity for interest, though am expecting it to be a fairly slow wait, as these things generally tend to drag out much longer to first revenues than is indicated.

Lizard, you are sooo right. Except with the way the small cap biotechs are at the moment, it is not the business development process you must look to for a value. It will be the PIPEs they sell to Roche and Pfizer etc that will set the price and for us if you are buying now, the profit.

And as you say, PEB is so low to be ridiculous. You mentioned your example which I am not familiar with but on the ASX the closest cousin PEB has is FER. Check out their bubble.

• 2 months later...

Half year opening paragraph:

The half year to September 2007 has been strong as Pacific Edge moves closer to market realisation with its life saving cancer tests. The bladder cancer assay clinical trial is underway and the colorectal cancer assay, close behind it.

Fully year commentary:

The clinical trial for the detection of bladder cancer, using urine samples, will be carried out on nine sites in New Zealand.

Some advice to small companies; read your previous announcements and aim for continuity. Why, six months later, does it now appear that the "underway" clinical trial is just about to start?

Oh, and one other piece of unsolicited advice; underselling yourself can be fatal to future capital raising.

To manifest more specifically; given that the government announced fast-tracking of colo-rectal screening the day before, why was there absolutely NO mention of progress on the colorectal assay in the full year result??? :rolleyes:

The notice says they became a substantial holder on 29 February. There do not seem to be much in the way of transactions on that date or for a few days prior. However, the preference shares converted 7:1 to 1.1m shares on that date, so perhaps they held the prefs up until then and they were not counted at the same ratio as actual conversion?

Otherwise, there have been the odd larger (500k) sized transactions in the last year - possibly they accumulated over a long period and only just triggered 5%.

Have I missed something? Where did the prefs come from?

I thought they just did the SPP in ords.

https://www.directbroking.co.nz/DirectTrade...aspx?id=1865575

Company: Pacific Edge Biotechnology Limited ISIN NZPEBE0002S1 Date: 19 February 2008 Date of Issue: 12 February 2008 Issued Capital Prior To Issue Previous Issued Capital - Listed 86,366,837 Shares Issued Fully Paid 14,247,728 Issued Capital Subsequent To Issue Total Issued Capital 100,614,565 Class Of Security Issued Ordinary Issue Price 13.7 Cents Percentage Issued 100% Terms of Issue Shares rank pari passu with existing Ordinary Shares. Reason: Direct Investment- raising funds for the Company's product development and clinical trials.

The NZX in their recent get tough to dissenters change of rules declared that there would be penalties if the 5% threshold SSH notice wasn't issued once it was crossed within a certain time frame. I think it was just five days.

But the ACC seems to think three months is alright with prefs that nobody knows where they came from. I would love to see the T&C's on those.

There is definitely something up with this one and the NZX and ACC have considered wholly appropriate to do away with all the rules of the exchange when it comes to disclosure.

It's a bit like jumping in to a really cool looking waterhole on a sweltering hot day without checking the depth first. Either you will break your neck or feel refreshed. I wouldn't pin my hopes to the ACC coat tails, but with Stephen Tindall there I am more than happy.