"English as she is spoke"

henrietta

Hi there

Just came across this article regarding the use of the apostrophe in signage ( my old Macquarie doesn't have this word but I'm sure the newer ones would) in England. Reminded me that we have a fascinating and infuriating language which must be an absolute nightmare to learn for non-English speakers.

Wonder how long the apostrophe will be with us ?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=736489

Cheers

J

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

G'day henrietta,

The one that continually irritates/amuses me are the roadsign signs advertising

"FRESH" EGGS

To me, the use of quotation marks in this context implies that "we are calling these eggs fresh, even though they are not"

My neighbours recently put up a sign that says (this is absolutely true):

PRIVET

I'm guessing they mean that this is private property and we should not enter. Then again maybe it's something to do with a hedge.

I frequently have to remind myself that English is a living language; that it is so different from the usage in the 18th century which in turn is so different from the 16th century etc etc.

Having said that, it drives me up the wall when I increasingly come across wrong spelling & use of grammar, punctuation etc in publications (no proofing) and the media, never mind privately.

If you don't like change life can be challenging.

Good old maroon ...... both pronunciations acceptable, and then of course the second meaning, to put ashore.

As regards tautology, I think politicians and sports commentators have a fair monopoly.

Outer space seems as good as anywhere for budgets. One does wonder where some of the ideas come from.

Cheers

J

Hmm, the study of a type of cake.

As for maroon say it with a Scottish accent and that may explain the the marone sound and how it came about.Just a guess.

Pet hates, you're/ your substitution.Regular size for medium size.WTF is a regular size? I raise an eyebrow at the expression "a regular kind of guy".Too much info for my liking.

Don't have a problem with the use of apostrophes although I'm guilty of not using them at times (along with capitals etc), particularly when posting.

I would prefer not to see English dumbed down too much.