The future of airlines

alonso

In reply to: Vilmac on Monday 07/07/08 05:50pm

I agree passengers should be charged fares based on their all-up weight, after all, they are just freight to the carrier. I had a similar experience last month flying EasyJet London to Amsterdam -- I paid more for the 7 kilos excess baggage than for my fare ( I weigh 76 kg). Also annoyed about the 300 lb American who boarded just paying the basic fare. Fare formula based on carbon foorprint of the passenger is required but it will be difficult to get around the anti-discrimination laws.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reply to: Damon22 on Tuesday 08/07/08 09:46am

Anti-Discrimination laws are based around the idea of having one rule for all (i.e. you can't have one rule for people under 100kg and another for people over 100kg)

With that in mind you can put in place a single rule that is "legal" from an Anti-Discrimation point of viewÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¦.ALL passengers are weighted and charged a set rate per kilogram per kilometre travelled.

Don't laugh the airlines have already looked at this model, it does have two major draw backs:

~ Check-in times.. Not only would it take a lot of time to weight people you then have to charge them (so online check in goes out the window)

~ Variable cost/profit models (they don't now how much they are going to earn until you arrive at the airport)

It's only a matter of time before they apply a per kg modelÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¦. They just need a more automatic way to weigh & charge you

Cheers

Matt

Matt, you are right about the no-discrimination if all are treated the same. Silly me.

Perhaps a system based on kg.km units could involve an annual weigh-in for frequent flyers and this is used to calc the fare. Any passenger could request to recalibrate within this period if they know their weight has varied materially. First time flyers with an airline would have to be weighed on check-in. They routinely weigh our luggage now and charge accordingly.

With respect to the cash flow projections, the airline could use stastically-valid population weight distributions for these with a high confidence level. Eventually, an airline would assemble their own data on passenger weight distributions and use those for budgeting etc.

From a flight safety aspect, the pilot in command of each flight would know exactly the all-up weight of the aircraft and be more precise in his/her flight performance data.

A more equitable system is required and the airlines would benefit by matching the fare to the fuel consumed in getting each passenger to his/her destination.

In reply to: Damon22 on Tuesday 08/07/08 01:48pm

Get the UN involved, give them something to do . .every earth citizen to be issued with an annually renewable certificate of weight http://www.sharescene.com/html/emoticons/lmaosmiley.gif

In reply to: Damon22 on Tuesday 08/07/08 02:18pm

The Frequent Flyer annual weigh-in is a very good idea, that way it allows for electronic check-in

As for everyone else, it's as simple as building a "stand on" weigh plate (i.e. when you walk upto to the check-in counter your standing on a 6 x 6 weight plate). It weights everything including luggage and you then get presented a visa card receipt to sign.

The whole "weight" non-discrimination idea IMO won't last too much longer. As a society we can't afford a total anti-discrimination policy on weight (the health care costs are too great)

Cheers

Matt

In reply to: mminion on Tuesday 08/07/08 03:23pm

So you propose to desciminate based on peoples height..... why not descriminate on age.... old people over 80 will die sooner so perhaps they don't deserve to fly when they don't have long to go ...... Why not descriminate on IQ..... Stupid people don't deserve to fly since how could they be adding value to our economy..... never heard of anything so ridiculous......

In reply to: Roberts5 on Tuesday 08/07/08 03:59pm

Let these control freaks run loose and it will happen these are the type that would have anyone beyond working age knocked on the head with a mallet, fortunately that has not been made compulsory yet but by the time they reach that stage it may well be.

I'm sure Logans Run the movie would be a revelation to these guys...... Real life however we only need to go back to WWII to see examples of where the Master race would take control over anyone that did not have blonde hair and blue eyes.

God Bless the ANZACS!

In reply to: Roberts5 on Tuesday 08/07/08 03:29pm

The proposal was based on weight which is what costs the airline to move ... just like freight in boxes at so much per kilo/kilometer. Can't see any reason that freight costs should depend on how old the freight is or how stupid but there ARE sound logical reasons for the price to be based on how heavy it is - you can only put a certain number of kilos on a plane, as any light aircraft pilot knows. Not a ridiculous suggestion, just difficult to implement but basically not a lot different from having cheaper fares for passengers with carry-on luggage only, as at present with some airlines.

Roberts5 & Sirob

How about reading the topic before making comment ?

A person's "Age" does not effect fuel economy... What is being discussed is charging ALL passengers based on weight as "mass" as a direct effect on the energy required to move it from point A to point B.

Cheers

Matt