Cash Rates

smee

In reply to: spartz on Friday 27/06/08 10:03pm

Yes, and that's the rub. How hard would it be to link it to Netbank? And yet they choose not to. Basically making promises they know many will choose to forego, simply because of that one point, I feel.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, yes Netbank access would make it a certain winner then... think they are doing this delibrately? i.e. i guess they don't want you to not be moving funds around all the time when it suits you...?

If it is still easy to move the fund via CommSec though?? would it be so bad?

I use the CDIA as my bank account also - it has a cheque book facility whereas the CommSec Cash Management A/c does not - I don't write many cheques but there's always the odd one for a rights issue or investment subscription that don't take Bpay & the CommSec a/c won't take BPay.

Also the CDIA is govt guaranteed if the world & CBA fell over.

I'm also keeping CDIA for reasons already stated, its my main bank account.

I'm curious about those who have also mentioned CDIA is their main account, how do you deal with excess cash? I tried to get a Netbank saver account attached to CDIA account but they said it wasn't allowed. I've been planning on getting an ING savings maximizer attached, has anyone done this? I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work but I doubt CBA would be too impressed either.

In reply to: joku on Sunday 29/06/08 09:15pm

Not quite following you, I would have thought a Netbanksaver account would be linked to your other accounts and visible on the web via Netbank? Perhaps not accessable through an ATM though - I'm not sure? What exactly do you mean by attached to your CDIA?

QUOTE (SK4ME @ Sunday 29/06/08 10:57pm)

The new Comsec cash management account is attractive because, unlike the CDIA account, it allows a high interest account to be attached. To get a high interest account (netbank saver) with the CDIA account you need to get some type of everyday account as well (ie an account that charges fees). If you don't mind paying bank fees, none of this is relevant.

For most people CDIA vs Comsec Cash Management is a trade off between high interest and general features/convenience. For people like me, who use CDIA as their main/only account, we can't really afford to lose the features/convenience.

So the other option is to keep your CDIA and attach an ING savings maximiser (thanks 29101971 for confirming). This is a fee free setup, with high interest rate account, and all the features/convenience of the CDIA account. The drawback of this setup is that moving money between CDIA and ING takes a day, whereas the comsec and cba versions are instant. Probably not a problem for most given T+3 trades.

• 9 years later...

global bond sell off accelerated overnight Monday - driving more confusion about the sustainability of the great Wall Street stockmarket boom.

Wall Street sold off - the Dow, S&P 500 and Nasdaq all falling on Monday. Overnight trading on the ASX 200 saw a 28 point fall, so the 25point rise from yesterday looks like being reversed.

The US dollar was mixed - it lost ground slightly against the Aussie which traded around 80.90 US cents this morning. Gold fell 0.8% to $US1,340.70 in New York in early Asian dealings, while US oil prices sold off as well, down a few cents to around $US63 a barrel.

The yield on the key 10 year US Treasury bond hit a four year high above 2.7% before settling around 2.69% in US markets.

The sell off started in Europe and continued into the US/ German bond yields also rose as the sell off reached into non-US securities.

The yield on GermanyÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s five-year government bonds turned positive for the first time since late 2015, reaching 0.0013% on Monday morning in Europe. Yields on these bonds fell below zero at the start of 2015 and have not closed above zero since November 2015.

The shift carried through into longer-dated debt as well, with the 10-year German yield reaching 0.693%, its highest level since late 2015.

Yields on the 10-year UK bond hit 1.467% on Monday, its highest level for a year. They ended at 1.455%.

The US Federal Reserve starts its first meeting of the year tonight our time. It is not expected to lift rates because it is Janet PowellÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s last meeting as chair. Jerome Powell replaces her at the end of this week.

Rising bond yields make borrowing more expensive, potentially straining some companies that have been relying on cheap money to grow.

The Financial Times reported that ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“The FTSE All-World index fell by 0.5 per cent on Monday, its worst performance since mid-November, and Goldman SachsÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ chief global equity strategist Peter Oppenheimer warned in a note that ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“a correction is becoming increasingly likelyÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ÂÂ, exacerbating concerns that a reversal is overdue.

ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“It all feels a little bit euphoric,ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ said Larry Hatheway, chief economist at GAM, the investment group. ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“It has led to a lot of people thinking that we should prepare the groundwork for some risk mitigation strategies. This canÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢t go on for ever,ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ the FT reported.

=====================

start something that we've been waiting for??? or just a blip? i notice that flattened yield curve for some time by now!! :unsure:

• 1 year later...
ING hasnâââہ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¾Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¢t been immune to the Reserve Bankâââہ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¾Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¢s interest rate cut that saw the official cash rate drop to a historical low of 1.25 per cent.

Following the rate cut, ING has announced it has dropped the maximum interest rate of its Savings Maximiser account by 25 basis points, from 2.8 per cent to 2.55 per cent.

The base rate, also known as standard variable rate, is officially 0.75 per cent, while the bonus interest rate is 1.80 per cent.

But to clinch the bonus interest rate, youâââہ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¾Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¢ll have to have an Orange Everyday bank account linked, deposit $1,000 or more every month, make five or more purchases with their linked account every month, and not exceed $100,000 in your account balance.

- quite a few hoops to jump through, otherwise you're just a source of cheap money for this intermediary

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/19/fed-decisio...-unchanged.html

A divided Federal Reserve held the line on interest rates Wednesday and indicated formally that no cuts are coming in 2019. The decision came amid divisions over what is ahead and still leaves open the possibility that policy loosening could happen before the end of the year depending on how conditions unfold.

================

no cut , but jaw boning ;)