Trading technology

renai42

hi there,

Just curious as to what tools people use most to make and research trades of any kind. Is it just online brokers/web sites like etrade/commsec, or is it web sites, mobile devices, social networks and discussion boards like sharescene and hotcopper?

Do people use financial modelling applications etc? Which ones

Kind regards,

Renai

Hey renai42. Very interesting question you pose. I've been around on ShareScene for quite a while so I hope I can offer some insights.

One of my favourite topics (thus the size of this post) is the role of 'the wisdom of crowds' for information gathering, processing and decision making.

One thing that I have found time and time again in my research is that the most efficient information processing is performed by a group of contributors with a diverse set of experiences who are abile to share their opinions without overpowering and abusing the opinions of others.

In my view, ShareScene (in stark contrast to that other site you mentioned) is just that. ShareScene really is one of a kind, in that its members encourage and enjoy differing opinions to be discussed... as opposed to believing that any view other than their own is dangerous.

Amongst the 13,500 investors on ShareScene.com there is a great diversity in trading styles as well as research / analytical methods. Throughout our community there are countless combinations of tools, software, trading rules and systems, beliefs and interest.

But there is one common aspect that combines all the 13,500 intelligent, information hungry, highly analytical members of ShareScene: they have discovered the power of working as a team on ShareScene.com and use it every day in their trading.

The key difference between ShareScene.com and practically all other websites, newsletters and tools (which usually promote one belief or one method) is that the ShareScene encourages and respects diversity of opinion. Varying views are discussed openly and intelligently in a friendly and professional way, resulting in the best information result possible.

Ask 100 people how many marbles are in a jar and the average number from the varied crowd will always be better than the guess of any one expert.

The reason why the ShareScene.com community is of such great value is that all the different trading systems of its members have become merged into one HIGHER LEVEL information processing organism. Yes, I said organism. http://www.sharescene.com/html/emoticons/graduated.gif

Some laugh when I describe ShareScene.com as a living, thinking organism, yet I can't help smile when in the same breath they comment on the market's mood today, or mention how 'the market' is responding in a certain way.

The 13,500 individual traders that make up ShareScene.com combine their knowledge, beliefs and experience through a common platform. Just like the individual neurones that make up a human brain, each ShareScene member is a small part of a greater whole. Alone they are small, but linked together into a structured network, amazing things start to occur.

The union of ShareScene's members really is a living, thinking being that is highly proficient at processing a wide variety of information and stimuli and increasing the information's value through 'the wisdom of crowds'.

Now let me throw another spanner in the works. http://www.sharescene.com/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

ShareScene's members are some of the most influential movers and shakers in the retail investor demographic. They are respected for their intelligence and experience in both the online AND OFFLINE worlds. Many members trade quite significant portfolios, and when you factor in that thousands of these key 'opinion leaders' use ShareScene religiously for hours every trading day, you can start to see the affect ShareScene can have to CREATE the market as it is each day.

One aspect that has always interested me is ShareScene's uncanny power to PRE-EMPT / PREDICT the market. Some say "predicting the market is impossible". But when you look at it, 'the market' is simply a crowd of traders who's changing opinions and feelings drive a company's value UP or DOWN.

Anyone watching the market depth and price movements of a stock is seeing the AFTER-EFFECTS of an opinion being acted on.

Anyone reading ShareScene is watching OPINONS BEING FORMED by opinion leaders in real time. By reading ShareScene have the opportunity to see the discussion that finally results in a trader opening their brokerage platform and putting in a real bid into the market.

The only way to predict the market is the capture MARKET SENTIMENT before it ever occurs on the market. Reading ShareScene helps information gatherers to see the true investor sentiment before their trade is made.

Any price or bid change on the market is instantly outdated information as soon as it occurs. Those who solely rely on market scanners and analysers are always going to lag behind slightly, as they are basing their research on the after effects of changing opinion, rather than catching the wave before it starts to swell.

I am a believer in that power of ShareScene as an information processor and trading tool, and could go on and on.

If any of the above needs clarification or you would like me to expand further, it would be my pleasure. It is great to see such important questions being asked. It is the power of ShareScene that connected your question with my possible ÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Â¦ÃƒƒÂ¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…âہ“answerÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’â€Å¡Ãƒƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚ÂÂ.

I look forward to reading other peopleÃÆâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’ƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¡Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¬ÃƒÆ’¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’…¾Ãƒâہ¡ÃƒÆ’‚¢s opinions so I can learn and further refine my experience.

Nice to meet you renai and welcome to the community.

My post below mainly talked about the social network part of your question.

I forgot to mention more about the trading tools, software etc.

Your best bet is to look around ShareScene and see what people talk about, with regard to software, brokers, tools etc. Here are the two forums that will have the topics you are looking for:

Investment Discussion Forum

http://www.sharescene.com/index.php?showforum=38

Off Topic Chat

http://www.sharescene.com/index.php?showforum=20

Hope that gets you going in the right direction.

Cheers