record keping of your share trading

Riviero

What is the easiest and way of record keeping your trading so that one knows whether they are making money or not?

I ask because I use E-Trade and because I sometimes do 6 or so trades a day, I'm not sure how to gauge my financial position.

It would be great if someone out there could shed some light on the subject. Thanks

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Stock Doctor and that has a good portfolio section to it. Otherwise just write yourself a spreadsheet in Excel. I'm sure there are many other programs that others would suggest.

In reply to: Riviero on Friday 20/07/07 07:02pm

If you can't guage your financial position then how can you expect to trade successfully!

If you can't build something in excel then go and buy a commercial package - I would also take a good look around etrade as I am sure they have a position page which would show your holdings and enable you to enter purchase price so you can at least see your mark to market position

I use an Excel spread sheets for end of day records, but use a cash book for during the day. I write in each trade eg

company---units---unit price---Total/buy---Total/sell---running Total

I know this is extra work but I always have a hard copy and know where I am.

For years I have used Microsoft Money which came as a component of the M Works CD disc.

This does not do Invoicing if you are a business, but provides everything I need for Multiple portfolios updating daily, and all general banking for my budgeting and taxation reports, and any other reports you want to seek within it, in text or as graphs.

Etrade has a portfolio page and an account position page as well - all you need is there.

You can easily see how much you are making by looking at the change in total value of your holdings plus cash, daily or whatever.

I also use the portfolio page to enter other non-Etrade holdings under a consolidated portfolio grouping.